Back Ups writing to D Partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redryder, Mar 3, 2010.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

I have a HP Pavilion,320 HD,4GB Memory,Duel Core Intel Pentium, 64 Bit NTFS Processor. I noticed that my D Drive which is the Recovery Partition, is getting smaller. I read somewhere that Backups sometimes tries to write to the D Drive. That is the only explanation that I have found. I would like to know of any other explanation and what can I do about it. When I purchased my PC, I signed up for the Norton 360 program, but now I back up my "users" file to an external drive.
    I can't understand how the back up gets to the D drive. BTW, I have Windows7 installed on Vista Home Premium.
    Thank You for any help you can give me.
    Red

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're getting those warning messages saying "Drive D: is low on space", don't worry. This is entirely normal. I've seen this dozens of times on HP systems. The HP recovery D: partition is usually only about 10gb in size, and it has about 8-9gb of data on it, so Windows automatically pops the warnings. I seriously doubt that your backups are writing to D: because it is usually locked so no data can be written to/from the recovery partition. What program are you using for the backups? You should be able to configure it to write the backup to any place you want; if it's set for drive D:, simply change it.

3. redryder

redryder Private First Class

Thanks for your response. My D drive is set for 14.2 GB's It now says 1.4 GB's. I haven't gotten any of the notices telling me that it is low. I just noticed that it is low and knew that something was taking up space. I checked with HP and they have a way to fix it, but I'm not sure that I'll mess with it. I'm not that sure of myself with these machines. I am backing up to WD 80 GB external drive. I'm only backing up my "users" files since I have the complete Machine Ghosted on another external drive. I also have recovery disks, so I guess that I'll just let things go unless I have some real problems.
    Thanks again for responding to my post.
    Red

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds