Backed up corrupted files from failing disc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill Artman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Bill Artman

Bill Artman Private E-2

I am using Rebit backup software on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit machine which monitors file changes and backs them up immediately. The PC has two internal hard drives. Drive C which is for Windows only and Drive D which is only for my data. The Rebit backup drive is an external drive. Rebit is running with no issues and making daily Recovery Points.

A few weeks ago the D drive with all of my data failed. I installed a new drive and did a Rebit recovery - the recovery process went well with no problems. I am a photographer and I have many Jpeg image files on the D drive. When I try to open some of the Jpeg image files I get a message from Adobe Photoshop "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found" and the image does not open. This message usually means that the JPEG file is corrupted and I have not found any method to repair and open the file if it gives this message.

I have tried to restore several files from the Rebit backup/s and I still get the "corruption" message. I think this tells me that before the D drive actually failed, Rebit probably was backing up the files that were corrupted as caused by the drive going bad.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions how I can recover good un-corrupted files? I still have the bad D drive.

I have always trusted the "backup process" but obviously if the backed up files are damaged the backup will be bad. I don't know how I would know this in advance to take pro-active measures.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

How hard of a failure did it have? Not recongnized? Just errors? If its still shows up in my computer or this computer or explorer you could possiblly get photos off of it. Since your a photographer it might be tons of photos and you could have to sort thru it all to find just the ones that were corrupted in the backup process. RECUVA is a program that comes to mind. It can find deleted and undeleted files which sounds like you situation. If Recuva can see the disk it will try.

3. Bill Artman

Bill Artman Private E-2

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how "hard" the failure was. I wasn't recognized. I replaced the bad drive and restored my backup. The problem is that the backup software backed up the files on the original (failed) drive that were corrupted. I am trying to find a way to repair the files if possible.

Bill

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Adobe Photoshop "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found

Try another program to open the missmarked files. "IrfanView" is listed on MajorGeeks and it will often open a mislabeled file. It will show a pop up like "photoxxx/xxx is a misnamed jpg- Do you want to rename?" It has displayed photos when other programs refused to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds