Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Discussion in 'Software' started by mineraledge, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

Hi All,
    I hope you can advise me on what to do. I recently cleaned my XP Pro Sp3 computer of some virus/Malware problems. Thanks very much to the "Read and run me first" advise I received from "Major Geeks" although I have been left with a problem of not being able to access Microsoft/windows update and after spending some time investigating. I'm reasonably certain it is the "BITS"service. It's stopped and I can't start it. I just continue to receive the message, "Could not start the (BITS)service on local computer. Error2 The system cannot find the file specified". Looking in the registry I noticed It has %fystemRoot%.
    Could this be the reason why, because I don't think the "f" should be there and if it is incorrect could someone please advise me on how to correct it.
    Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks for doing such a great job.
    Best regards
    Mineraledge

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

Thanks for replying Goran P .I do and still run avast as my antivirus. I did download malwarebytes when I initially Did the "read and run me first" Which cleaned out all the rubbish . I have already run malwarebytes (Full Scan) and Avast (Full Scan) three times in the last two days And there both showing up "0"results .So i'm fairly confident
    that i am now clean except for the "f" remaining in "BITS".I will check out the thread you reccommended. What I would like to do (If I can that is) Is go into the registry and manually change or remove the "f" to what it should be. Unfortuneately I havn't done this procedure before so I could do with a lot of advise on how to do it.Thanks again for your reply.
    Best Regards
    Mineraledge

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

5. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

Thanks For Replying again Goran P, I followed The step by step procedures they supplied on this site yet I still can't shafe off this "f". Although Two of the comments
    left at the end seem to relate to the same problem. Iv'e left my email address in hope
    That someone there can supply me with some instructions on how to perform this procedure and where to look. As I'm not familiar with Fiddling in the registry.
    Thanks for your help and it does seem like they should have the answer.
    Best Regards
    Mineraledge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds