Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Discussion in 'Software' started by waltaja, Jul 29, 2005.

1. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

I hope this is the right forum for this...

I'm trying to download the Genuine Validation Tool at Windows Update. Only thing is, it won't start to initialize the download. I looked in services.msc to see if maybe a service was off that wasn't allowing automatic update to run. the Background Intelligent Transfer Service was turned off. I clicked on the link that said START and it said:

"Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to server specific error code -2147024894"

I looked in my Event Log (or at least what I think is the event log) and it directed me towards Help and Support. Help and support directed me to the command prompt and told me to type in, "sc query background intelligent transfer service"

That brought up a list of other commands. I tried, sc start background intelligent transfer service and it said:

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

So my question is, seeing as i've always been able to go to Windows Update in the past, how could this not be installed? And, if it is possible, how do I restore it?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

waltaja

p.s. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2, 2.66ghz, 256mb RAM and so far as I know fully updated. (kinda wonder now though as Automatic Update relies on BITS I believe)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Verify this directory exists:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network

If it doesn't, create the folder, restart, then see if you can start the service.

3. waltaja

I will try that. Thank you for the quick repsonse

waltaja

4. waltaja

I did go look for the folder and yes it was there. Within the Network folder resided two other folders, Connections, and Downloader. I'm not sure if that is all that should be in there or not.

Within the Connections folder are two folder labeled, Cm and Pbk

Thank You again

waltaja

5. waltaja

^^^I suppose I should have mentioned that after restarting my computer, BITS still wouldn't start. It gave me the same error message as before

waltaja

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Maybe you can try renaming the Network directory and recreating a new copy? Don't worry about the subfolders.

As well, you can also rename this folder, then go back to Windows Update for the WinUp software again:

C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

If that doesn't work, you can import a fresh copy of the BITS service into your registry by using the attachment I've included.

As always, you should back up your registry before using something like this.

Attached Files:

7. waltaja

I'm not computer savvy so please bear with me for a bit. Are you saying rename the Network folder? (i.e., Network1) and the creating a new folder and calling it Network?

And if I need to resort to the reg fix, I would just extract the folder to the desktop and when i click on the BITS icon in the folder it will ask me to merge, correct? And I would assume click yes. (It makes enough sense anyways).

Thank You once again for your help.

waltaja

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes and yes.

:)

9. waltaja

Thank You. I will try these and see if they work.

Much Appreciated

waltaja

10. waltaja

Unfortunatly still no luck. I am still receiving the same error message before. I tried both of your suggestions, renaming the folder and using the BITS.reg fix. Neither one worked however

waltaja

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Start/Run then the following --
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

reboot

12. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

13. waltaja

Thank you Shadow_Puter_Dude that fix worked.

waltaja

14. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Yeah shadow...worked for me too!! I couldn't get the TV guide to download for my windows media center 2005, and dtermined that it was because the BITS would not start...however, I couldn't start it...so I searched here, found this thread and ran all the dll commands you suggested, rebooted, and voila!!!!

Would you mind elaborating on what exactly it was I did!!?? Just to enrich my knowledge!!

Guess that just goes to show that sometimes the answers are already out there!!!

Thanks
    Roger

15. Shadow_Puter_Dude

THere are so many reasons why BITS stops working, and this is just one of seeral fixes.

The particular fix registers the MS OLE library, Java Script, VB Script, MS XML engine, and the Cryptographic Services.

16. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Soooo...correct me if i'm wrong, but in dumbed down terms....that was activating/registering the necessary dll's in the registry, in the appropriate places??

Roger

17. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes, that's pretty much what is being done.

18. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I had this problem myself after removing the remnants of NAV from my system. I found out that DjLizard had taken the fix for this problem, along with some other common Windows problems, and automated them in this nifty little Freeware prog: http://djlizard.net/software/dial-a-fix/

It still classed as beta, he says, because there's still more to add, but it worked fine for me. Check it out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds