backing up from NTFS internal to FAT32 external

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mastermiaow, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

Hi
    Having some problems doing the back up so here are the details.
    I have an IBM Thinkpad R50e with XP Service pack 3. The hard drive is NTFS formatted with 74.5gb. I am trying to back up to an external HDD with 149gb space and FAT32 formatted.

I tried to back up using the Windows XP back up utility but it stopped after an hour saying it could not be completed due to an error and report is attached. I tried to save time and space by not asking for everything to be backed up but just ticking backup, backups, favourites and My Documents in the backup utility window.

Could someone explain how I can make this work, in the past I have just copied and pasted folders but I want to include system data as I think I may some malware (layered service provider LSP i386p problem) and understand that removal may damage the system.

Please help! :confused

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Fat32 will work on NTFS systems, but not the other way around.

3. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

OK so what do I do???:cry

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Reformat the external to NTFS format.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds