Backing Up To Wd 1t Passport Hard Drive From Pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mdub, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

Computer-
    Dell Latitude E7240

Hi all.

Looking for advice on backing up my outlook emails, files, etc. Just a safe general backup to a Western Digital 1 terabyte external hard drive.

*Purchased already formatted for PC.

Thanks;)

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You didn't say what version of Outlook, but typically you can just "Export" to a .pst. You can also just copy and paste your other file to the new drive. Or you can use a backup program to backup your entire drive (or parts of it) to this external drive.

Just one word of caution - the best backup solution entails multiple backups to multiple backup location. This external drive should NOT be your only backup device. And think "off-site" too. What would happen if you home floods, you have a fire, or a badguy breaks in and robs you? It is likely if your computer is taken out, so will your backup device.

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You can also back up the very same data to a reputable free cloud storage facility such as Google or Microsoft One Drive, among others.
    I personally keep my external drive that I use for system back ups in a fire-proof and waterproof-sealed lock box.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That is a good option, if you have faith in cloud storage. I don't. I do believe my data will not get forever lost out there, but I don't trust it will never be compromised by a hacker. So if you choose cloud storage, I recommend encryption. Another safe option is to keep a backup in your bank's safe deposit box.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds