Backing up w/recovery drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MotoX247, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MotoX247

MotoX247 Private E-2

My computer (only 3 months old) came with a recovery drive in the hard drives. I think when I first started using my computer I noticed that it was almost full (3GB free of 12GB), having never manually sent anything to it. I have backed up my computer using Windows backup and restore center (vista) and Norton 360. When I back up my computer with Windows it uses two disk and it doesn't even use half of the first disk and hardly any of the second. When I back up my computer with Norton it only uses one disk. Norton gives me the option to backup my computer to my recovery drive; should I do that? Or, should I use DVD-RW disks to backup my computer? So, what is the recovery drive for? Should I use Norton to backup and use DVD-RW's or send it to the recovery drive? or use Windows? Why was the recovery drive almost full when I first got my computer and for what is it exactly used?

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

To my understanding the recovery drive is just that. When you get your computer the recovery drive has every thing that came with your computer on it. If you have a computer malfunction and have to restore the system the recovery drive takes it to factory specs, just as if you took it out of the box. Norton uses the same concept however it backs it up in real time from the day you run their software. the reason for the amount of disk space is probably compression ratio (I'm no way an expert on this part). You notice when it ask you to back up it may mention compression and that's why it doesn't take up as much space. Also some back up programs stores the files on your hard drive and the disk is used as a boot, that may also be another reason why it's not taking up as much space. I would try not to use that recovery drive for anything else other than whats already there. You may want to get an external HD and back your files to that. i only say that because if you computer HD frys that extra partition will probably fry with it.
    I hope I answered some of your questions, if you check back someone else will have a more detailed answer for you or a different opinion on what I just said.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds