backing up Windows Live Mail contacts

Discussion in 'Software' started by geordief, Jul 15, 2011.

1. geordief

geordief Private E-2

I have a problem here because the program as a whole is down and I can't reinstall it either.

I can find all the emails quite easily for the purposes of backing up but the contacts folder seems to be harder to find .

For example I can do a search for an email that I know I have on the hard drive: I can just type in a search term in the Search box just above the Start button (in Windows 7) and the email shows .

I still have to open the email with another program (called FreeFile Opener) but at least I know the files are there.

The same trick will not work for the contacts folder and I suppose they are either lost or hidden .

Can anyone point me to their actual location -or even to a program that will read them for me until such time as I have successfully reinstalled Windows 7 (followed by reinstalling Windows Live Mail) ?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Contacts should be in the bottom left corner depending on how you set it up. You can change your views as well but you should always be able to see Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Feeds and Newsgroups. Again, this varies based on your preferences.

From there look for the export tab to export and backup to import later.

Attached Files:

3. geordief

geordief Private E-2

thanks but the problem is that the program is down so I cannot use it for any purposes at all until I get it fixed.

I cannot fix it because the download from the Microsoft site won't load on my computer and so I may have to reinstall Windows 7 itself and then reinstall Windows Live Mail at that point.

But I don't want to arrive at that point and discover that I have not backed up all the information in the Windows Live Mail application (then it would be gone forever).

So I want to do it manually and I need to know the name of the particular file that holds all the contact information (I think I can see all the actual emails :it is just the contacts that are not obvious)

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds