Bad battery/ short? vaio laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmorgangrice, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jmorgangrice

jmorgangrice Private E-2

Hi, im after some help from the more techie minded then myself, i have a sony vaio pcg 9y2m laptop, thats been turned off for about 3 months while i buy a keyboard to replace the old one.

Theres a couple of things to add:
    I didn't turn it on before swapping keyboards,
    After swapping keyboards, when i plug the charger in, the battery light flashes twice constantly, then after an hour stops,

After this i thought id have a look inside at the power jack etc, which all test fine,

Now, when i put it back together, i dropped a screw, shortind a black and red wire coming from the dc jack for about half a second. (Theres 3 of each). Then when i put the laptop back together, i dont even get a light, so i leave it for 2 week.... And try again, and the light comes back? and i leave it to charge, but now light has dissapeared again..... The laptop wont start with or without the battery, and the intermitent light problem was there before the short so i know theres something else up.

Another thing i noticed, just trying different things, i have continuity between my live and ground wires from my dc jack, is this normal or from my short?

Any help would be great, iv been on this all day!

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi J,

Most Laptop adaptors today are switching supplies. They contain circuits that will shut them down if a short occurs. That is to protect the adaptor. Also have protection against over current plus over and under voltage. Does not protect the device that got shorted. You may have also shorted something in addition to the power jack leads.

Good Luck, Jim

3. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

You should never take any electrical device apart with it plugged in. Is the dc jack soldered directly to the board or do you have a harness with a connector that plugs into the board?

4. jmorgangrice

jmorgangrice Private E-2

Hi, sorry iv been away with work, the dc jack is on a harness then wired to the power board inside, all wires are getting conections, iv tested all earth and live wires from the jack, and they get around 19 volts. One thing to mention, i was about to give up when today, i was messing around looking for loose connections, and trying out a new ribbon as i thought the old one may be damaged. and while i didn't even connect the ribbon, i was looking round the mobo, and the thing booted! i had no ram in it, no switch connected, i did have the battery in (tested to make sure power getting here, it reads 12 volts), i tried touching different things trying to see if it was a loose wire or something as i had removed the bezel that goes around the keyboard to expose the mobo, and thought maybe pressure was making something happen,

Nope, couldn't get it to power off, so i took out battery / power lead, to turn it off, and now the damn thing wont boot again! lol, i got the battery light to start flashing, but that only happened once also, and not when i did anything particular, this is so stressful lol please someone help, im nipping out for a sandwich (and to ponder possible ideas where to go from here.)

5. jmorgangrice

jmorgangrice Private E-2

p.s does anyone know how to manually turn on the laptop without the switch? its on a ribbon so theres no button on the mobo

6. jmorgangrice

jmorgangrice Private E-2

it worked lol, i went and got a sandwich, came back, double checked everything and decided i had nothind to loose, started playing with the ribbon, and i bridged 2 pins and it fired up! done it like 4 times now, but going to put it back together, as the heatsink fans didnt fire up, but think its an earthing issue (theres this plate that looks like it earths several things together, only thing now is, is it the actual power button or something, as i cant see anything wrong. couple of dry joints, but theyve been like that forever i guess, as the laptop always worked fine, any ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds