Bad flashed my K8T Neo FIS2R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heinlein, Oct 21, 2004.

1. heinlein

heinlein Private E-2

I've pretty much come to the conclusion it is not anything I can fix other than taking it out and sending it in to be repaired. :mad:
    I am thinking of switching to one of the nF3 250GB or nF3 250Ultra boards. I'm leaning towards the Asus K8N-E Deluxe since I have used Asus boards before and have always liked them. Another board that I like is the Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR which also has good features for less money. I also like the Gigabyte K8NS Pro but I believe it is only a nF3 250 chipset.
    The MSI K8N Neo Platinum looks good, but the K8t Neo FIS2R soured me on MSI.
    The Asus site says their forum is shut down and I hate putting out good money without some feedback.
    Anybody have any experience with any of these boards reliability, performance, ease of installation etc.
    In my old system I was using an Athlon64 3400+, a matched pair of Mushkin PC3500 level one 512s, two 160GB Samsung SATA HDs with the quiet motors not the JVCs, a 120GB Western Digital PATA HD, a MSI DVD drive, a NEC 2500a DVD burner, and a 3.5 inch floppy.

2. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

If you flashed your bios wrongly or whatever happened you can send it back to the company (i.e. RMA) and they will reflash it for you for free. Just call their customer support and they will walk you through the process. If anybody tells you otherwise they are wrong. Also bad flashed happen usually because of power spikes, surges, and stuff like that. I wouldn't hold it against the maker of the board when the problem usually sits 18 inches from the monitor (no offense). They will do it for free you'll just be without a board for 2-4 weeks but it'll just cost you the price of shipping. It beats buying a new board unless you want to upgrade anyways.

3. heinlein

heinlein Private E-2

Thanks Ironsnipe
    I am not committed towards upgrading, but I am definitely thinking about it.
    I understand MSI makes a PCI board that will flash a bad BIOS, but their only response was to contact the reseller. Newegg's policy is to RMA it; even if it has a socketed BIOS which could be taken out and replaced a whole lot easier than a MOTHER of a board. Unfortunately my BIOS is soldered in so my repair options seem to be limited to finding one of the PCI boards or RMAing it. With MSI being no help in finding a PCI board I think I'm stuck.
    Considering I have to take out and replace a MB either way my options appear to be: Spend $ and very quickly have an upgraded system vs. Almost free but having to wait several weeks to get my original system back and I don't have any idea what BIOS version they will give me but I am afraid it will be the same one I was trying to upgrade in the first place.
    I'm unhappy with MSI because of their lack of assistance or foresight in providing ways to fix problems like this such as Gigabyte's Dual BIOS, not because I fail to realize a continual source of problems sits 18 inches in front of my monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds