Bad FSB:DRAM Ratio, Need Help Fixing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkzorb, Aug 26, 2008.

1. darkzorb

darkzorb Private E-2

Hi,

I own a 3 yr old HP Pavilion dv4000 running windows XP, before it only had 512 MB of ram so I decided to upgrade it to 2 GB of ram, in an attempt to make my computer a bit faster. Recently I've been looking into overclocking since I don't see myself having this computer for much longer, and just wanted to get the most out of it that I still can. I read about FSB:DRAM ratio, and it being the best when it's 1:1, and I ran a CPU-Z test and found that mine is 3:5. I was gonna try to change it to the optimal ratio. Since my computer is an HP it's not exactly conducive to overclocking with the bios, at least I wasn't sure how, so I used ClockGen instead for the task. The PLL Control listed below is what it was originally before I overcloked with ClockGen.

Here's some screenshots from CPUZ and ClockGen. Any help would be appreciated. And if you need anymore information, I'd be glad to provide it. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. darkzorb

darkzorb Private E-2

Another thing, I just ran the CPUID Hardware Monitor and realized the ACPI Temperature for THR0 is ranging from 77-86 C.....isn't that way above what it's suppose to be?

3. redpetals5075

redpetals5075 Private E-2

Hello,
    I was thinking of updating my HP dv4000 RAM. Did your computer run faster with the RAM upgrade?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

A ram upgrade especially if your running sub 1GB is always good for a small speed kick, dont expect miracles but it will really help speed up applications.

5. darkzorb

darkzorb Private E-2

Sorry for the extremely late reply, but in case you still needed to know. The ram upgrade did boost performance a little, but I think the problem with my dv4000 was that either the processor or hard drive was worn down and dying. I've gotten a new laptop since then, and haven't really looked back. dv4000 is now 5 years old? If you're still using it, you might consider replacing it, especially since laptops are so cheap these adays.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds