Baffed By The Fact That A Radeon R7 260x Wouldn't Work On This Motherboard But The Gtx 950 Will.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Feb 22, 2016.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V
    Intel i5 cpu
    4 gb ram
    Using a Live linix cpu to test the computer

When I have the Radeon R7 260X in it nothing shows on the monitor.
    When I tried the GTX 950 it works fine.

Any ideas?

2. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Okay, I just tried the Radeon R7 260X in another computer and the monitor came to life. Now I'm seeing if I can load the drivers.

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Well I can't load the drivers. When I try it states R7 260X video card not found.

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Are there some motherboards that just aren't compatible with radeon graphic cards? I had the R7 260X cards work in 2 other computers, but not the computer with the Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V motherboard.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults?

Checked that the card is seating correctly, not being blocked by something on the motherboard or case?

How about a different monitor cable/type?

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

This is not as uncommon as we would hope. Some solutions:
    1) Reset the BIOS (remove battery, hit reset)
    2) Update the BIOS
    3) turn off the on board video in the BIOS
    4) try different ports and cables - DVI seems the most dependable
    5) With everything off, try turning on the monitor, then the computer. Try turning on the computer first.
    If all this sound like VooDoo, it's because no one solution has been found. For some reason the video card, motherboard, monitor are not talking. Usually this results in the BIOS setting the refresh rate on the card out of range.

7. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Sadly I've tried all of that. I even tried a different PSU. The motherboard is a Gigabyte H81M-DS2V (bios ver. F5 06-19-2014). To make sure there was no problem with the PCIe slot I tried a Nvidia GT 610 card and it worked with no problems. I've tried to contact Gigabyte support to see about compatabillity issues and that was an exercise in furstration. I couldn't even sign in to ask techsupport anything.
    The card did work in another older (dual core) computer without any problems, but not the computer I purchased this for.
    I must say, I've never had these problems with any of the Nvidia cards I've had.

8. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Okay, well apparently my dvi adaptor was bad (the monitor I'm using to test this on has the old vga connector). I tried a new one and now both R7 260X work on the other 2 computers (I installed the driver to make sure it would). BUT, the computer I originally purchased the one R7 260X still does not work or even show a boot screen! AAAHHHHHHHHHH. What the heck!

PS: I've never had a dvi connector go bad on me, has anyone else?

9. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sorry for the slow reply, business trip.
    Have you tried each port on the card? DVI-I, HDMI and DisplayPort

10. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Sorry I didn't get back to this post for awhile. I had surgery and for a deviated septum.
    I did try all the different cards ports on the card and no luck there.
    Well this is what I was able to do. I tried the card in 2 other computers with the following motherboards.
    Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2v
    Jetway 939-GT (SOCKET 939)
    The R7 260X card worked in both of these computers. Although I couldn't get the newest drivers to load for it, the driver before that worked.

Now I found this interesting. I tried a different radeon card in the (X850XT) Which also will not work in the computer sporting the Gigabyte H81M-DS2V MB. Is there something about this MB that just doesn't like Radeon cards?
    I've decided I'll just get a GTX card for this particular computer since I know it'll work. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds