Baffled and discombobulated by loss of sound???

Discussion in 'Software' started by seascorpion, Jun 5, 2008.

1. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

First of all my computer experience is on the novice (but VERY willing to learn) level. I am at wits end and would appreciate any advice that you fine people can offer.

Last week I lost all audio on my Sony VGC-RA826G desktop. I've spent hours of free time reading about similar problems on the net which led me to register at this exceedingly helpful website.

Following suggestions I read from "The Great Musknipe" and others I have done the following:

1.Verify all connections. Sound cables etc. are properly connected.

2.Check Master Volume control. No device detected

3. Check Windows Audio Service is started. It is running.

4. Check Device Manager for bad drivers. "Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device" has a yellow exclamation point. Everything else seems ok.

5. Check BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled. Something called the "onboard azalia controller" is set to automatic in bios. (I believe this is the sound controller).

6. Install the correct Audio drivers. I went to the Sony website and installed the RealtekĀ® High Definition Audio Device Driver for my computer. Which had no effect on the problem. *NOTE: I did not uninstall the driver prior to doing this which is something that I have since seen recommended on other threads. What is the proper way to uninstall a driver?

7. Install the correct Chipset. I haven't done this yet. There is a download for it at the Sony website. Should I do this next? If so, should I first uninstall the current chipset and how is this done?

8. Try the The Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) fix. Not done yet. NOTE: While I found RealTek HD Audio listed under add/remove programs I didn't see KB888111 anywhere.

What step(s) should I take next?

If you need any additional info let me know. My effusive thanks in advance to any and all that assist me in solving this problem.

SeaScorpion

----------------------------------------------------

I installed Everest and lsited below are a few of the results for your perusal:

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 550, 3400 MHz (17 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale i915P
    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]
    Motherboard 63-0400-000040-00101111-111604-I915$A0112001_BIOS DATE: 11/16/04 15:31:07 VER: 08.00.10
    Motherboard DMIMOBO: ASUSTeK Computer INC. PTGD2-VX
    Motherboard DMISYS: Sony Corporation VGC-RA826G(UC)
    Motherboard Unknown

----------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thanks for the very nice compliment. I hope I can live up to it. :eek:
    Looks like you are doing the right things but maybe a little out of order.

First,
    Try updating the driver, through Device Manager. You can also try manually updating it from the files that should be in the sysaudio.sys file.
    (I can't check some of the XP things anymore, because I no longer have any XP machines.)
    Also, there is a download link that takes you to Windows updates and it should reinstall that driver, if missing or corrupted on your system:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/50751

That is your sound and is set right.

With Realtek, it seems there is no proper way. Usually, it is Chipset driver, Audio, Video, then the others.
    So, first download the Chipset driver you found at Sony and install it.(No Need to uninstall the other.) Shut down, then reboot.

This is the fix that I put together with help and input from some others. It works about 75% of the time.
    You may not be able to perform a step if something isn't there. But the important thing is to get the Realtek audio uninstalled and also the UAA if it is not installed properly.
    If the UAA is installed, without problems, leave it and the KB888111 alone, just uninstall the Realtek audio.

1) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition (Realtek or Azalia) audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers. (or the unknown device, if there is one)
    2) Go into Device Manager>System, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)
    3) Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says Realtek) through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    KB888111
    In Add/Remove Programs, look for the KB888111 update and uninstall it. (It may have uninstalled in last step)
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer.

To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB888111 (may be in SP3)
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install the driver.
    Install your audio driver from Sony, shut down then reboot.

3. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

Thanks for responding Musksnipe.

I will implement your suggestions and then update this thread with my results.

4. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

OK, here's what happened. I tried updating with device manager but the program asked me to insert a cd and I don't have one from Microsoft. My Sony computer came with Windows pre-installed. I do have 2 recovery discs from Sony but I didn't know if that would work.

Next I went to the download link you provided and tried to download the "Microsoft kernel System Audio Device" but Windows Update said I first needed to update to Service Pack 3. So I decided to do that.

For some reason the SP3 download and install was VERY slow and thinking that the machine had frozen I restarted the computer and tried to download it again but it was still extremely slow so I decided to just wait and eventually it downloaded. Then it began to install the update.

Here's the big problem: The installation abruptly stopped while it was backing up files and gave the following error message. "Setup cannot copy the file sysaudio.sys. Ensure that the location specified is correct or change it and insert Windows XP system files in the drive you specify."

SP3 thought the files were located at "c:\windows\system32\drivers".

I'm stumped.

Do you think the sys.audio.sys files are located on one of my 2 Sony recovery discs? Is there a way to download just those files and then copy them to "c:\windows\system32\drivers"?

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That is where it should be located, but apparently isn't. Try a full search of your PC, including system and hidden files, looking for the sysaudio.sys file.

Yes and yes. It would involve opening a Command Window and running some DOS commands to extract it and place it on your PC.
    I think the actual command is Expand, but I don't know the proper syntax. And I don't know DOS that well, either. LOL
    This link may help you out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490903(TechNet.10).aspx

Another thing you might try, is running the System File Checker. That is supposed to find corrupt or missing files and replace them, from an OS or recovery Disc.
    Insert your Recovery Disc and close the autorun, if it opens.
    Goto Start>Run, type cmd.exe and press Enter. That will open a Command Window.
    Type sfc /purgecache and press Enter.
    Type sfc /scannow and press Enter

I can't guarntee that will replace the .sys file but it is a bit easier then the Expand command

6. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

Sorry for the delay. I went to bed before you did last night and this morning has been a bit hectic til now.

Did that and found the file located at five different places on the C hard drive. All of them have the same 60kb size. The last 2 appeared to be modified relatively recently.

1. windows\I386\SP2.CAB modified on 8/3/2004

2. windows\system32\drivers (modified on 8/4/2004) Is this the same location where Windows update couldn't locate the file?

3. windows\driver cache\i38 (modified on 8/3/2004)

4. windows\softwaredistribution\Download\ddab5193501484cf5e688fa1d22f9e (modified on 4/13/2008)

5.windows\softwaredistribution\Download\ddab5193501484cf5e688fa1d22f9e\sp3.cab (modified on 4/13/2008)

So should I try to install the file from one of these locations? If so which do you recomend?

Do you think that the last two might be the cause of the problem since they were modified recently?

7. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

I GOTS ME SOME SOUND AGAIN!!!

Thank youl Thank you! Thank you! I kowtow in humble reverence to "The Great Musksnipe"!

:drool:-D;):drool:) YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY! HIP HIP HOOO FRIGGIN RAY!!!!!

YAY YAY YAY!! :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:):):p:p:p:drool:drool:drool

-----

For those who may read this thread in the future here's what I did.

SOLUTION:

Instead of inserting my recovery disc and possibly having to fiddle with dos commands I don't understand I followed the suggestion from another website to unhide hidden folders first:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Then I ran "sfc /purgecache" followed by "sfc /scannow" from the command window as you requested. I restarted the computer, turned on Media center and voila--- I GOTS ME MY SOUND BACK:cool:cool:cool:p!!

It's amazing how something so seemingly superflous as sound can totally change your computing experience.

STATUS CHECK:

1. Checked the "Sounds and Audio devices properties" on control panel and all options are available. Previously they were greyed out.

2. Went to Device Manager and nothing is marked with an exclamation point now. However, "Microsoft kernel system audio" is no longer present under "sound video and game controllers". Previously it was the assumed cause of my problem with its yellow exclamation mark.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

P.S. Did I remember to say thanks? ;)

8. seascorpion

seascorpion Private E-2

One last question (hopefully). :eek: Should I go ahead and install SP3 or could this open another can of worms?

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sorry, I was busy while you pretty much got it figured out. Great work on your part! :celebrate

Sp3 doesn't seem to cause a lot of problems but does occasionally. Set a Restore point, install it, check things out, and if there seems to be a real issue somewhere, uninstall it, and restore.

That driver only seems to show up when your main audio isn't installed properly. Not to worry.

I need to take a good look at what you did in the AM, as you may have discovered something that has been eluding me.
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds