Baffled, Second Drive Shows Up When I First Boot Up Then Doesn't.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Dec 26, 2015.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I'm using Windows 10 and drive C: I use for windows and drive E: everything else. When I first boot up drive E: shows up in windows explorer. Then it just doesn't show anymore and so I can't get to anything on it. So it only shows up for maybe a minute but then just goes away. Is my hard drive going bad?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are you running the latest version of Win 10 (version 1511, 10586)? There was an issue with internal optical drives not showing in Disk Management. Someone on another Forum put out a Registry Key that was supposed to fix the issue (it didn't for me. I had to scan for hardware changes with a disk in the drive). But, if you're not running the latest version, for the time being, check for hardware changes in Device Manager and Drive E should show (at least for the current session of Windows).

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I opened up the case and found out the power cable must have been a little lose. I pushed it and it moved just a little (not enough that I thought it would fix the problem) and it showed up after that. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds