bandwidth usage monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ukrkoz, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Private First Class

hi all

ok, i found several old posts on this, but none really helps.

i need to monitor bandwidth usage. not on my pc! either on entire network or, at least, off my router.

i am running IPTV service, and am limited by Comcast to 250GB per month per modem.

I have found a bunch of bandwidth monitors for pc, various complexity. but they do not show general bandwidth use. we have that IPTV STB, plus my son's pc, and some other devices that use internet occasionally.

i tried to use PRSLG monitor, but it is way beyond me technically, besides, it does not show bandwidth usage. it has a sensor that needs to be added to program to monitor for this, but that's where i hit the brick wall, as i am not a programmer to fathom the wisdom of doing it.

so, does anyone know of a fairly easy to use program that will do this? is there any way to do those reports off my Belkin router? as all traffic goes through it anyway.

and no, i do not have usage monitor in my Comcast account. it disappeared as of yesterday, for good or bad.

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

I do believe you can use dd-wrt on a number of Belkin routers to monitor usage http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

You will have to flash the firmware of your router so do your research and be careful. If you mess up you could end up with a useless brick instead of a router.

3. ukrkoz

thank you. i'll look into this tonight. i have already seen something similar, but my router was not supported.
    i'll have to re-check with them, as mine is a very common router by belkin. also, for the sake of having it working, i have no problem buying a supported router.
    i found usage meter in my comcast account, but it's not to be trusted. it showed 1gb usage for february 1, and we were all at work and computers turned off. hence, i am seriously interested in my own way of usage monitoring.
    thank you.

4. ukrkoz

well, i got my issue solved. once and forever and unexpectedly.

turns out to be, there's easy fix for Comcast 250Gb cap. opening a business account. it does come with 12 mths contract and is about $10 more, than regular highest speed service. but it is UNLIMITED. stream all you want.

which is kinda strange. i called them and offered to pay more for added bandwidth. they told me it's impossible. same rules for everyone. well, come to find, and i was ready to pay at least $25 more, for $10 more you can get unlimited Comcast. isn't corporate mentality just inhuman in some respects? instead of offering tiered bandwidth usage, and chopping big bucks on this, they offer business unlimited for just 10 bucks more. what can i say.

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

That's good information to know. Thanks.

6. ukrkoz

I am bumping this thread.
    Reason being, Comcast business finally got me with continuous price jagging. They started increasing bills by couple bucks each month.
    Also, my son has 4 times speed a mile away, same Comcast, for $20 less on residential account.

So, here's the thing.
    We have - currently - Comcast business modem/Belkin router/ 2 PCs on network hardwired/2 laptops on WiFi/Internet TV box/Roku. Some devices connected to modem, some to router.

I want to switch to residential, but problem is, I'll be capped at 250Gb data usage per month. We watch internet TV for several hrs a day, plus regular usage on PCs. No gaming. But HD channels on IPTV stream at 8Mb speed, eg.

I called Comcast and of course, they have no idea what my monthly usage is. Account does not appear to show any usage online.

I am back to my original question - how can I monitor ALL traffic for bandwidth use, before I jump the ships and change account types?

I re-read what was previously suggested but, like I said, it was beyond me technically. Is there something that average human can use to have close enough idea on how many Gb a month we use TOTAL? Though I doubt it can be done, considering that some traffic goes through modem, some through router.

7. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Since you've read older threads you've probably seen Networx - MajorGeeks mentioned, maybe even tried it. And given your situation("some traffic goes through modem, some through router"), I don't know how much of a benefit it would be.

At any rate, it might be worth a look as it can be configured to monitor the router if it supports SNMP.

[​IMG]

8. ukrkoz

Thank you.
    Yep, exactly my thought - it must be somehow monitored off the incoming coax, as THAT is the pipeline for entire traffic.
    I have 2 users connected to modem and 23 to router, so there s no way to record grand total via router only.
    Router does record data use, but for 5 minutes only. Should there have been way to configure it to do monthly...
    Comcast is playing some silly games. They do monitor data use on residential accounts, but half the country has usage meter inoperable. Stinks of intention, as overuse is punishable.
    I simply do not want to jump into residential account with 250Gb throttle, to be chastised by Comcast later. Have no other option for HS internet otherwise. Nothing. In sticks. Monopoly.

9. ukrkoz

But let me ask you this.
    I have router connected to my PC. What if I connect to modem instead and use say networx? As MODEM should show ENTIRE usage, right? As it all goes through it?

10. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

You can try. I have Comcast too, residential though and Networx doesn't recognize their modem. Doesn't see the "WAN interface" and gives the error message that "the router probably doesn't support SNMP." That's why I said "if it supports SNMP."

11. ukrkoz

I need to wire my IPTV STB to router. It's the biggest bandwidth hog, and Networx - I have it running - appears to be detecting router traffic well, along with log.
    I'll do this next. I have so many cables coming to modem/router....:cry

12. asti

asti Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds