Bandwidth Usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nedlamar, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I know I could research this myself but I'd rather have opinions from people I know.
    Anyway I need a prog to monitor bandwidth usage from each PC on my network (3pc's)
    Something where I can open the prog and see how much each PC is currently using (up and down) and preferably also give me a total usage over a period of time.

Any ideas?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Thanks guys, will look into it.
    Basically all I want to know is when and how much my son is using, he has a habbit of watching movies etc in HD or doing other stuff that eats bandwidth and there's many times when I am browsing or playing games online where I seem to just half my speed or worse and when I call up to him he says he's not using internet. Nothing major but to be honest I thought such a prog would be relativly simple and easy to find lol.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I use BitMeter 2 at http://majorgeeks.com/BitMeter_2_d5603.html, rating: 4.88 (17 votes), on my mostly stand-alone laptop.

I don't know if you have to install it, once for every PC, though, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.

It combines multiple usage, through the same modem, on the one lot of usage statistics.

Sorry I can't be more exact.

Bazza

6. Earthling

I've been taking another look at Networx (which I use and linked to earlier) and I see among its advanced features an option to synchronise usage data with other computers on the network. The program has to be installed on each machine for this to work but atm I don't know what form the output takes. If it produces aggregate data for the entire network then it won't help answer your question. However if it produces results by IP address we are in business.

I'm setting it up atm and I'll let you know,

7. Earthling

OK, it does look as if Networx may possibly give you what you want. I've set it up on an ad hoc network consisting of an XP SP3 laptop, a Vista Home Basic PC, and a Win 7 64-bit PC - a good mix. On both the XP and Vista machines it is only reporting bandwidth usage for the local machine despite being set up to sync with other network comps. However on the Win 7 machine it is reporting usage separately for both itself and for the Vista machine, though not for the XP laptop for some reason.

It is important to get the settings right for each installation and may be worth your trying it, but if someone else comes up with a better solution I'll be trying it myself ;)

8. Earthling

Just to wrap this up, Networx is now reporting usage by day, week and month for each machine on the network, so it does what you want.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds