Banking ok on severely compromised system

Discussion in 'Software' started by ccn, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ccn

ccn Private E-2

Hi folks, i need help convincing a family member that doing banking and other tasks is a terrible idea on a badly infected system.

This family member has never payed attention to updating programs and he thinks security is no big deal because, so far, according to him nothing bad has happened.

His computer has ridiculous amounts of outdated programs and his Java and Adobe have not been updated in months.

I ran numerous scans including Kasperskys TDSS utility and Malwarebytes, Super antispyware etc etc and despite having four severe threats alerts for over a month he has not cared and continues to use the computer .

One Trojan was the Alureon, one was a backdoor, another was a downloader and i believe one was a dropper, Kaspersky TDSS found countless infections but according to him no money has been compromised.

He is running XP and wants to know what the big deal is about continuing to use the computer despite it being so compromised, he says he can handle it being slow but see's no big deal with doing banking.

Folks , i'm not here for anti malware help i'm posting to get some of you to talk some sense into him, i have been trying to convince him to let me wipe the drive with a repeated pass program and then re install because he has stuff so deep into the system from years back...

Anybody with some straight facts to pound some sensibility into this very ignorant person, no need to be kind , let er rip. Oh, i did make him read Chaslang's (cleaning a compromised system ) but he says that's rubbish.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

You can only lead a horse to water. You cannot make them drink. ;)

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

ccn...

The only thing I can think of is to explain to him how keyloggers work and how viruses can be planted that make it possible to actually control a computer remotely against the will of the user. Maybe this will help:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

or these:

http://www.youreviltwin.net/identity-theft-stories.html

or this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reds-private-emails--set-ripping-friends.html

One mistake, and hackers can have his credit cards and bank account information to use at their own will...

Just me, but if I were doing anything serious on the internet I would be looking into the best security no matter the cost...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds