Barton Core... Overclockers dream?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lowie57, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

i heard that barton core's are hard to come by, is this true?

if so..luckily i have one! :D

anyways my question is how long do you think i can keep my system before i have to upgrade?

i really wanna stick it out until prices have dropped!

i only really use my computer for Gaming, Music and Movies,

(i know its not a computer but it is technically) i was wondering if i should just buy an xbox 360 or keep pushing my computer to its limits.

anyone have any suggestions?

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

its true Bartons are hard to come by now (since they are no longer being made, and were great bargians when they were available) but I think you're confusing ACE's post that you recently replied in.

they were referring to Athlon XP Mobile Barton's, which ran at lower voltages and overclocked much much better.

if you want too push your system or be able to play the latest games, i'd just upgrade your video card for now. Maybe a 6800 non-ultra or 6800GS, or X800/x850 series (once in a while you can catch great deals as they try to sell these off...)

the rest of your system is still quick and reliable, and i'd save up until you need the upgrade, unless you're very hard into gaming and need it, which it doesnt seem you are :p

3. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

you won't get a regular Barton very far. They are heat-producers on a Presscot scale.

You *might* get 150-200mhz out of a non-mobile barton... but that will be with either extreme-air or water cooling.

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I donno my old 3000+ did 2.4Ghz @ 1.75 V and ran under full load @ ~ 120F ... then again it was locked :rolleyes:.....

5. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

yes i know there major heat producers, they can also widthstand alot of heat!
    my CPU got up to (no joke) 90 degrees celsius!, luckily my motherboard has an overheating protection shut off *phew*

i can push to 2.4 with my 2600+ but it gets dam hot!, it also crashed my comp a couple of time, i read the OC guide and im pretty sure its got to do with my ram!

anyways i will look into those fans

thanks alot guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds