Basic system Restore question

Discussion in 'Software' started by stevo4, Sep 11, 2004.

1. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Can someone explain how the system restore works with regard to the point in which it will restore too?

I mean is there a way to set the point when it should "remember" so if i have to restore it knows what was on the computer at that time?

In other words, How do I know what the restore date is? I may have added programs on 6 different days over the course of a month. How do i know what i've lost if i need to use the restore feature?

Does this make sense?

Is it going to restore 3 days ago? Or is it going to restore 3 months ago?

Sorry if this is convoluted. Just haven't done this before.

steven

2. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

i have used system restore a few times in windows millenium edition and a couple in xp home. what M$ claims is that newly added things wont be lost. but common sense tells us that the reason you are using sys restore in the 1st place is because something that happend went wrong..did that make sense?? hope so. but i have had cases where i restore to maybe 3 weeks ago and programs such as nero wont work or as in one instance i have lost quite a bit of bookmarks from mozilla. Its little things like that, that arent bad to loose, but are just a pain in the rear to get back, or remember in the bookmarks case. Before i go any farther i want to make sure i understand what your asking. Are you saying you want it to backup/create a restore point every X many days/weeks/months/etc. automatically?? If so i have no idea how to make it do that. I do however know that it will make a restore point if u install some type of software that changes major system settings. Off the top of my head i can name MS plus for xp. i know that that creates a restore point before it installs. spybot search and destroy does also. I dont check the MG board too often so if this isnt what you were looking for im sure some other kind member will help you out just fine. Ciao!

3. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

I should have also told you (since you said you were new to this) that you can go in and create a restore point manually. sorry i forgot that.:eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds