Battery causing XP Desktop to restart?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bgarten, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bgarten

bgarten Private E-2

I was working on an EMachine desktop that would not boot. It would come up to the log in, the password was typed in and then it would go back to the log in screen. If I tried safe boot, it would just restart. My customer's girlfriend's cousin said it was because of the battery. I thought that sounded far fetched, but wanted to check with the experts to see if that was possible. I thought on a desktop that the function of the battery was to keep the clock going and it did not have anything to do with the boot process as the electricity would handle that.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Far fetched? Nay, he fed you nonsense.

Anyway, what OS is this?

3. bgarten

bgarten Private E-2

It is Windows XP SP2. I am just glad to know that my common sense did not fail me!!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Do you have an actual XP CD? Recovery Media does not count.

5. bgarten

bgarten Private E-2

Yes, I have the home version sp1.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. bgarten

bgarten Private E-2

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I did try it, but I don't know if it worked, because just as I was finishing up, he came and got the computer because his "expert" said he could fix it within the hour. Thank you so much for your help on this.

8. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

Hi everybody, I'm having a similar problem as this. I have a "battery" error message on bootup of my Dell Dimension 4700 (see attached screenshot). It doesn't stop bootup - it just appears all the time, starting in the past week. Is it possible I have to replace the battery? Or just switch outlets? I'm trying to understand the problem here. Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

AloisD, you need to start your own thread.

10. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

OK, done, sorry, I thought reviving an old relevant one was better than starting a new one. :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds