Battery charging / not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ray Davis, May 23, 2015.

1. Ray Davis

Ray Davis Private First Class

ASUS G75VW-DS71 LapTop, 64 bit OS, Win7
    I noted posts as long ago as 2002 re same issue. Here it is...
    My tray battery readout says "96% available (plugged in, not charging)". I bought a new battery, and it showed "100% available (plugged in, charging)". For about 2 days.
    Then it showed "96% available (plugged in, not charging)". I thought 'faulty battery', and exchanged it again.
    While waiting I placed the original battery into the laptop, and it showed "96% available (plugged in, and charging)". After 2 days it returned to "96% available (plugged in, not charging)".
    The new replacement battery arrived. It showed 100% available, charging for 2-3 days, then reverted to 97%, not charging.
    Oh... once it gets to the "not charging" point, the laptop battery light flashes orange continually.
    Is this a problem? Or, should I just ignore it? I like things to work 'right', so any input would be welcome.
    Thanks.

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Can you run it on the battery or is it left plugged in all the time?
    I have a lenovo laptop at work that is left plugged in most of the time, always shows 97%, but does work if I unplug the charger.

Sam

3. Ray Davis

Thanks for the reply Sam...
    Yes, the laptop runs fine on battery only, although it is plugged in 95% of the time. I don't mind it running at 97%, but when it also says "plugged in, not charging", it makes me wonder what's going on.

Is the batter defective? Is there a flaw in the power block/chord (though I've tried a substitute chord with identical results)? Is it something in the laptop? I'd be interested in any ideas you have.
    Thanks, Ray

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have an Asus, says 97%, not charging .......so I assume this is normal.

6. Ray Davis

Thank you TimW. And thank you to plodr.... I think you are right, and, I've downloaded the battery utilities. They look useful, especially BatteryCare.
    Ray

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

After using three of them: Battery Care (portable), BatteryInfoView (also portable) and Battery Bar.
    I can say that Battery Bar is most in line with the remaining time showing on the inbuilt battery info program.

BatteryInfoView doesn't show the remaining time and Battery Care says 1 hour and 39 minutes at startup while the inbuilt tool says over 5 hours.

8. Ray Davis

Thanks JoeRay12... good information. I looked much more closely at the power management options. I don't yet understand them all, but I'll find out. Sound like my settings should allow/require battery usage down to a certain percentage.
    Thanks again. Ray

9. Ray Davis

Thanks.. this looks very useful, and I'll be giving it a try.
    Ray

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds