Battery Not Charging

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

The laptop battery has stopped charging when plugged in.

The battery icon in the lower right corner of the screen says;
    "94% available (plugged in, not charging)"

Also, the blue light has come on, but it should only change to that colour (from orange) when fully charged.

This is the first time it has happened. What would cause this?
    I haven't used the laptop in a couple of weeks and I just finished downloading program updates to it (Windows, Virus, Firefox, etc.).

Laptop - HP Compaq Presario CQ56-109WM - Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, Intel Celeron Processor 900 @ 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its very possible that the battery has died. Does it hold the charge it currently shows?

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

My Lenovo has settings which you can adjust as to at what point recharging will start. It's set so it has to go below 75% before charging starts again. These settings are not available in Control Panel but in a utility provided by the manufacturer and are intended to prolong battery life. Maybe your Compaq has something similar. Anyway, not that you have much choice, keep using it and see whether it eventually starts charging again. If not then it's a new battery.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

After posting last night, I turned the laptop off. I just turned it back on now, and the charge has dropped down overnight to 79% available.
    The laptop was a gift from a few years back and isn't used very much (I have a desktop that I use regularly).
    The laptop would gave me about 2 hours usage on a full battery since new.

I've found that this laptop will charge anytime. Well, until now that is, lol. I will try charging again.

I will check it out!

Thanks to all for your replies!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds