BBC Iplayer refuses to recognise AIR

Discussion in 'Software' started by joe berg, Nov 27, 2012.

1. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hi from a damp UK. I have been trying to install the BBC Iplayer but during installation it tells me I must install adobe air. I have unistalled and reinstalled both Flash and Air at least 20 times if not more. I have run Mr Fix and it tell me AIR is installed correctll. I have been in common files and deleted there. The BBC help tells me to go to Adobe and I have been through everything it advised and it still tells me nothing is wrong with AIR but each time I try to install the Iplayer the same message comes up "a download error has occured with adobe air would you like to retry.

I am running Windows 7 I have tried using both IE and Chrome

Joe

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It won't install for me either if I use Chrome for the download but it does eventually install and work if I use IE10 in Win 8. After several aborted efforts I finally uninstalled Air using Revo on its Advanced setting and everything then went smoothly. I also had it running in Win 7/IE9 so try doing what I did.

Revo is HERE

4. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Thanks for looking at my post everyone. I have tried it in IE Chrome and Firefox after cleaning out everything in programme files for a fresh start. Sometimes I have had success gone to BBC Iplayer and downloaded a programme and then after closing down the if I try again either the desktop Icon wont open or if I go to Iplayer it tell me to download Desktop and install and then wont install because I need Air ! which I must have downloaded a dozen times !!! I'm having problems with Google particulary mail but the Iplayer is the only other problem I wonder if they can be connected. No prob with Facebook or ebay etc

Joe

5. Earthling

You don't say whether you have actually tried uninstalling Air using Revo Uninstaller on its Advanced setting, which is necessary. I would also use Revo to uninstall the iPlayer and then try the whole process again from the top.

6. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Morning Earthling

I did as you instructed for both AIR and BBC on advanced settings Now when I try and reinstall it tells me that Iplayer is already installed. Programmes I downloaded a couple of night5s ago when it seemed OK are all showing " Licence Pending"

7. Earthling

I'm a bit at a loss at that joe. There is a new version of iplayer available and I guess that's what you are trying to install. Perhaps it's the old version still being detected somehow by the new version, just don't know.

If you have any restore points or a system image available, and any of them precede this problem then I'd try that. System Restore is reversible if you don't get what you want from it.

8. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Thanks for looking into it I have given up and decided to take the download to WMP instead. Its only because I found it really frustrating and really wanted to solve it but I am beaten :)

9. Earthling

Something isn't right with your Win 7 Joe. Wouldn't do any harm at all to run Microsoft's Fixits as they do address many of the more common problems that can develop in Windows. You could run them all if you want, no harm would be done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds