BBC News Channel freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by cozzie, Aug 20, 2011.

1. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

Perhaps some other UK members with the BBC channel might be able to help with a problem I'm having.

Quite frequently when I access the BBC News channel it completely freezes up the computer and I have to do a forced shut down. Other times I briefly get a blue screen and the computer crashes by itself.

I'm using a 3 dongle for internet access and I must say that the BBC channel and the ITV channel are not good at the best of times and keep on losing the connection. But the freezing thing has just started recently.

Is there anyone out there with a siminlar problem and a simple remedy perhaps? When I say a simple remedy I mean explained simply as I'm not very advanced computer-wise.

Thanks
    Cozzie

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You mention "blue screen", so I assume that you are on Windows - what version? Also, what browser do you use - Internet Explorer (what version), Firefox, ...?

The first thing you should do is change the automatic restart on a Windows crash: right-click on 'My Computer' and select Properties. On the Advanced tab, under 'Startup and Recovery', uncheck 'Automatically Restart' on System Failure.

Next time a blue screen occurs you will be able to see the error code (and perhaps error module) of the crash.

When you say you view the BBC News channel, you mean you are watching videos? Can you right-click on that video area (before the video starts), and tell us what Flash Player version you are using?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As well as the above info that's needed I would try the below.

4. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

I'm using windows xp sp3 and the same thing happens on both firefox and IE8. Java and Adobe are up to date. I'll try the other recommendations and see what happens.

One other thing is that it's only BBC and ITV I Have trouble with other videos like You Tube are ok.

Thanks for your time.

5. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

David, the top of your quote concerning Adobe seems to be missing? Should there be something about deleting adobe there?

6. cozzie

cozzie Private E-2

I removed the applications and installed the latest versions clean as recommended and it appears to have done the trick. I was wrong about one thing I stated above and found that my Adobe Flash Player was a version out of date.

Anyway the freezing has stopped. Thanks for you help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds