BDS/Hupigon.Gen

Discussion in 'Software' started by FED UP, Nov 13, 2010.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Not sure whether to post this in the malware forum, but here goes. I downloaded a vintage computer emulator bundled with a quantity of software.
    When I scanned the entire download with avira, it is finding BDS/Hupigon.Gen in one of the compressed archives. Apparently this is a backdoor virus/trojan .
    There are about 50 .rar files in the download, and I'm not going to unzip it until I figure out the best course of action to take concerning the backdoor.
    Would the simple act of unzipping that particular archive activate the virus ?
    All the other archives come up clean, I thought about deleting the infected archive and then trying to unpack the rest of them, but I don't know what effect this will have on the decompression process. I wonder if there is a way to unrar the infected archive and then delete the backdoor, perhaps in a "sandboxie" type scenario .
    Ideas, anyone ? I would really like to get this emulator running, it was a 24 gig download and took 3 days rolleyes but i'm not going to do anything with it until I get some advice from the pros here at MG.
    I did not quarantine the infected .rar, i just relocated it to my desktop for easier access .

Here is the information offered by Avira : C:\Users\gr0k\Desktop\c64-archive-v1.1.part19.rar
    [WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails this file will not be repaired or deleted.

Does this look like something that would secretly send out spam from my system ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Not so much advice, but, if it where me, i would be going for the a "sandboxie" type scenario, seems a lot safer than just a simple opening of an unrar, situation !

I would wait around for one of the masters to give you some advice !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds