Becoming a Warranty Service Provider?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Sep 28, 2011.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I opened up my own PC repair shop a few months ago. Business is picking up; however I'm still not servicing the number of units per week I'm capable of doing.

One option I've been thinking about is contacting major manufacturers (HP, Acer, etc.) to find out about becoming a warranty service center.

My questions to those who already provide warranty service for one or more manufacturers:

* What is the best way of contacting and selling my services to HP, Acer, Dell and other mfrs.?

* What are there general requirements to become an authorized warranty service provider. FYI, I have over 15 years experience repairing PCs, a retail storefront, business license and 2 million in liability insurance.

* How is the pay for warranty service? As an example, I typically charge $70 labor for replacing a dead HDD and reloading the original OS. How does this compare to manufacturer warranty reimbursement?

My only other thought is I want to do carry-in service only for now. Until I get to the point of adding employees, on-site service would be tough given the number of hours I'm at the store.

Please share any experiences or thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi gman,

I dont know for sure as I have never done it but it expect it is not a standard "warrenty repair service". You will probably have to pay the company to attend a training course so that they know you are competent. You will then become an authorised Manufacturer retailer/servicer. You will get listed on their website and will probably get access to their parts department. This will alow you to repair their products and charge people (and probably also to use their logo) I dont think they will send you repairs but if someone comes in with a laptop that is bust and under warrenty you can repair it and pass the cost on to the manufacturer. It would be worth getting a resellar agreement as well coz you will then get people coming back to you for repair coz they bought it from you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds