Beep codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aardvaark, May 16, 2009.

1. aardvaark

aardvaark Private E-2

I have a intel 6400 standard clocked on an asus commando m/b with two 1mb corsair xms2 dimms with a 8800 gtx video card. After having worked fine for 2 years the last time I tried to power up all I got was 2 short beeps
    repeating and nothing else, No other activity at all except lights on the m/b. I have checked on the net and the beep code for an AMI BIOS seems to point to the memory(parity error).I have tried taking both Dimms out and replacing them, one at a time, in all the dimm slots but the same thing happens. any suggestions please.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Post codes (beeps) are specific to your bios(you can see the version at the hardware detect screen) for your mobo-the genral listing for ASUS follows.

Error Message

Description
    1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
    2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
    3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
    4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
    5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
    6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
    7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
    8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
    9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
    10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
    11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
    1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
    1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
    1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
    2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
    1 long POST has passed all tests

3. aardvaark

aardvaark Private E-2

Thanks _ what is a RAM IC though?

Also since I have tried both dimms does it mean both are fried or is is a momo thing?

4. aardvaark

aardvaark Private E-2

Oops - I mean MOBO thing

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds