beep sequence problems with HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvervulpus, Jan 5, 2014.

1. silvervulpus

silvervulpus Guest

I have a hardware problem. the HDD was pulled from my friends dell with a rev. a00 motherboard, standard 2004 dell deminsion 1100. anyway, we recovered the HDD from the potential thief without damage and i simply reconnected it, however now the computer wont even boot to bios, all i get is the attached boot sequence. btw there is a .wav of the beep sequence i get when i power on. i remember watching my uncle fix a similar beep sequence issue about a year ago, and he said it has to do with the lenghts of the beeps to decipher whats connected incorrectly. anyway, PLEASE HALP. its my friends computer, so i really want to do this job right. plus i do alot of their software work, and im not much of a hardware guy, but i recognise i am missing something vital in this hardware equation, and was hoping someone could help me decipher the beep sequence and maybe arm me with a place or tool to study this problem incase i encounter it again.

Attached Files:

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This page at the Dell Support site gives instructions on how to run the PSA Diagnostics and instructions on what to do once the error codes show up.

3. JonnyBB878

JonnyBB878 Private E-2

Hello,

Have you tried to unplug the drive and turning on the pc without it to check if it still does the beep? As far as my knowledge goes there are no beeps associated to hard drives, even more when the bios isn't even shown.

I downloaded and heard the beep and to me looks like it's a memory error, this doesn't mean your ram is bad. Most probably you just have to reseat it.

Also is the pc running on an onboard graphics card or a discrete one?

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This site has the Service Manual for the Dell Dimension 1100 and starting on page 15, the error codes/beeps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds