Beeping AC adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yargwel, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Anyone know what it means when an AC Adapter (an Edac EA11203) beeps with a high pitched regular beep at a rate of about twice a second? :confused: It does this without being plugged into the laptop and it fails to charge the battery and/or power the laptop up if it is connected to it..

I'm happy enough to take the thing apart and try and work out what is happening myself but it's so much easier if you know the answer first. :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Any kind of reset button on that thing? Did the fan maybe die and it got too hot and tripped the circuit to self protect? ....I'm not finding any info on it other than sales.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Nope no reset buttons or anything. Just two screw heads hidden under rubber feet.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Fuse, maybe?
    Can't find any info, either, sorry... :(

5. TimW

Must be time to put on the surgical gown and do some exploritory surgery>>>:) :)

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

@Mada - don't think its the fuse as the power light comes on okay it just doesn't supple power - just beeps. And I can't find any info either which is why I asked just in case someone had come across the problem.

@TimW - "Nurse!! - The screens!"

7. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. It is possible the beeping indicates an open fuse, I guess. Another possibility might be that it is overheating. I agree with Tim...time to break out some tools and a meter. Good night and good luck.

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It's dead. Not to knock your surgical expertise, but, you'd be better off just getting a new one. Even if you do manage to fix it, it still won't be 100% and there could be a fire/electrical hazard. Shell out the $40 or $50 for a new one.

hopperdave2000 :)

9. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Unfortunately here in the UK they are nearer £90 ($180) so I'll try the cheaper method of trying to fix it myself in the first instance. :)

10. HELP12

HELP12 Private E-2

I have the same problem. I suck with technology and i have no clue what to do... If you ever find out the solution to the problem and how to fix it... PLEASE e-mail me at

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  11. shadfurman

shadfurman Private E-2

I have had the same problem for months, initially I just had to tap it on something a few times and it would start working again, but now that has quit working. I've taken it apart and its full of some kind of silicone gunk. The pesimistic side of me says thats to prevent people form fixing them, but I'm sure its to absorb shock and prevent shorts. My first guess is that it's a relay near the AC power plug because the banging things on it caused it to work for a little while until power was turned off. There are two large inductors on either side of the relay and two large 120v caps below that. Then a transformer and a set of smaller caps below that. Three higher voltage transisters around the edges. The other side is littered with surface mount (I didn't realize it took so many parts to make a power supply) I am unable to find anything that looks like a fuze unless its the part rapped in heat shrink but its upright with the leads coming off the bottom and only about 2mm diameter, 5mm tall. Its really hard to see with all the silicone gunk and I shocked the crap out of myself repeatedly until I cut enough silicone off to discharge the caps. I'm unsure of how I want to proceed, I guess I'm just searching for a multimeter and hoping my roomate has one. If I figure it out I'll try and remember to post it. The pesimism in me (again) feels that they are designed to fail at a week point.

12. TimW

This really is a thread from 2006. Please create a new thread in hardware forum for any new post concerning AC adapters. :major

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds