Belarc Advisor says "re-install" ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Belarc advises me to re-install KB 904942. (see thumbnail #3).

When I try to un-install the existing KB904942, using its' uninstaller (spuninst.exe), I get the message it can't find UPDSPAPI.dll

Searching the Folder for KB904942, UPDSPAPI.dll appears in KB904942 Folder (see thumbnail #1)

Lots of other UPDSPAPI.dll in various Files as well relating to different updates. (see thumbnail #2)

Some questions:
    1. How can I un-install KB904942 if it can't "find" the DLL in its own Folder, or sub-Folder.

2. Can I just right click on Folder 904942 and delete?

3. Can I just backup C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ and delete all KBnnnnnn entries?

4. Can I just backup all UPDSPAPI.dll entries and delete them?

I realise that these questions are not your usual run-of-the-mill questions, but hope some expert out in MG land can help.:D Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Hi Bazza,

Two questions: Is your OS Windows XP and do you have Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed?

The reason that I ask is this update for Windows XP (KB904942) resolves HTTP authentication issues in Windows-based systems that do not appear until Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed.

The HTTP authentication issues are explained thoroughly in this MSKB Article ID: 904942. This update only needs to be installed if you are experiencing the symptoms mentioned above in the MSKB article 904942.

Regarding your "Uninstall/Reinstall" questions:
    You should be able to remove (uninstall) this update by either of the following two methods:

(a) Look for the Add or Remove Programs entry for "Update for Windows XP (KB904942)" and remove from there... (be sure to check the "Show updates" checkbox in Add Remove)

Or...

(b) You may also use the Start > Run... > then type the uninstallation command:
    "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB904942$\spuninst\spuninst.exe" (without the quotes!)​

If you want to reinstall the update you should be able to either go to Microsoft Update or you can also update from this update's description webpage (KB904942) for Windows XP, that is.

Important Notes: This particular update is for XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition users (as well as all versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003), and ONLY when these operating systems are used with: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0

Additionally if you are using Windows XP x64 Edition the update details are located here (KB904942)

Good Luck!

3. bigbazza

Thanks COMPUABLE for your usual in-depth reply. :major
    Yes I have XP Pro (SP2). No, I have IE6 (and Opera).

I will print out your suggestions and work my way through them. Bazza

PS: I've run spuninst.exe from within the KB File, but it crashes. "Missing DLL"? as per one of my screenshots. I will try it via Start-->Run, but don't hold out much hope. :cry :( Baz

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  4. bigbazza

COMPUABLE, KB904942 is not listed in my Add / Remove programs listing. :cry
    Very few MS updates are. I have always had "Show Updates" box ticked (I think)

Most (nearly all) my MS updates are in my C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ Folder. Don't know why. That is just where they went. :confused

KB904942 is a Sub-Folder in that $hf_mig$ Folder.

Inside KB904942 is an spuninst.exe program. I run that, but it crashes.

"UPDSPAPI.dll not found."
    "Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

(see all 3 thumbnails in post #1 here, in this thread

Grrrrrrrr. Should I download it again, re-install over existing KB904492
    and then delete the bl**dy thing, or just delete the Folder KB904942
    by right-clicking and selecting "Delete"?

Bazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds