Belarc Advisor Security Definitions - Version 2006.8.8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by BelarcGuy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. BelarcGuy

BelarcGuy Private E-2

This belarc Advisor Security Definitions Update installs the latest version of the belarc Advisor's security definitions which includes all Microsoft security bulletins through August 8, 2006. This update ensures that the System Security Status panel in the computer profile report reflects the true number of missing Microsoft Security Updates

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I have just downloaded and installed the Belarc definitions.

Belarc tells me I am missing an update for Windows Media Player.

I don't use WMP because it can "phone home" and instead use another media player.
    Why should updates to WMP be necessary in the CIS rating?

Also I do not have the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) for a similar reason.

Bazza

3. BelarcGuy

BelarcGuy Private E-2

Hi Bazza,

The CIS benchmarks require all Critical or Important security updates to be installed because the vulnerabilities those updates fix, if unpatched, allows taking control of your computer. WGA isn't a security update, so isn't required.

4. bigbazza

MS tells me that WGA is a critical update (I think, I'm probably wrong. Will check MS again later).

Also it tells me that a missing update to WMP is critical.
    Why, and particularly why, if WMP has been removed from my PC.

Obviously, CIS doesnt check to see if WMP is installed first, and robotedly reports that a missing WMP update is critical.

It is a not a big deal as I ignore the WMP message, just annoying. Bazza

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  5. BelarcGuy

BelarcGuy Private E-2

Hi Bazza,

IMHO Microsoft confuses people by having both "Critical Updates" and "Critical Security Updates", where WGA is the former. Perhaps it's Critical to Microsoft that as many people as possible install WGA :)

The WMP update is a "Critical Security Update" because not installing it could allow an attacker to remotely take over your computer.

Belarc Advisor (and MS) is showing that you need the WMP update because you still have a vulnerable component of WMP installed and it hasn't been patched. That usually means that the vulnerability can be exploited, though one could pick nits and say that for this or that reason it's perfectly safe.

I don't know what you did to remove WMP, but it apparently hasn't removed all the media player components. Take a look at the MS security bulletin where it shows exactly which files are vulnerable and you can verify the vulnerability yourself if you'd like.

6. bigbazza

Thanks BelarcGuy, for your reply. I did an "uninstall" of WMP 10 (already pre-installed on my PC), amd M$ in it's method of operation has rolled it back to WMP9 (which I wasn't aware was on my PC).

WMP9 is not as good for playing video media as WMP 10.

I would really like to get rid of all links to WMP.
    Is this possible?
    I read somewhere that WMP is integrated into MS OS (XP Pro?) and impossible to remove.
    Is this so?

Is there an integrated equivalent (other than WMP) freeware, or shareware?
    Should I go down the route of installing separate stand-alone programs for playing CD's and video and just ignore WMP if I can't delete it?

Any help / comments / suggestions, from anyone, will be appreciated. Bazza

7. bigbazza

I've given in. I'm downloading the WMP10 update (even though no WMP10) and WGA.
    I hope I can track down the WGA download when it finishes so I can make a copy of it to a USB stick, then remove it (again) using Remove WGA. I can then go through the routine (I hope) of installing before visting MS and remove it again afterwards.

Will see what happens and how Belarc reports on my PC. Continuing.:p Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds