best backup/clone

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Sep 18, 2008.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

what do you guys consider the best backup:image:clone program to make a copy of the hard drive (regardless of cost)[​IMG]

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Actually, Bill, there isn't one best utility for this.

Seagate provide a utility for 'cloning' your old hard drive to a new larger one with consumer packaged versions of the upgrad drives. This works very simply for simply moving your OS on to a new, larger drive.

I have found the 'copy partition' facility in Partition Magic to be very good and fast.

However, beware, many utilities including PM cannot do Vista.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=168727&highlight=partition+magic

One that can is clone genius from spotmau.

www.spotmau.com

But it is quite slow as it uses a different technique for the cloning.

Some tips for cloning:

Some utilities require you to prepare the target drive first with a partition and perhaps formatting to place the source. Some disregard anything on the target and create new structures.

All utilities benefit from a good cleanup of the source first. Delete unwanted files, do a check disk and perhaps a defrag.
    It is very frusting to let the cloning run for say 5 hours to receive an error message 'clone aborted can't read from source'

Whilst you obviously require enough space to copy the files, some utilities only clone to a drive that is as large or larger than the source, others can fit only the used space on a smaller one.

Don't clone to an old drive that has been pensioned off that drive may fail when you most need the copy.

Some utilities (PM and Spotmau and Seagate) will boot from CD and control the cloning outside of Windows.
    Some utilities have to be installed in Windows to work, which may not be convenient.

Try to put your source and target drives on different channels as only one device can be active at a time on a individual channel. This greatly speeds cloning. It doesn't matter if they are master or slave (for IDE), that makes no difference.

Once you have created your clone you may have further work to do, eg editing boot.ini, to make you new partition work properly. This is especially true if you are cloning the Windows partition of a drive which also has manufacturers' recovery or control/diagnostic partitions as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks Studiot this is for a friend that i am asking who is also with Vista, I have paragon but it's not the easiest to use.

I basically wanted to know personal favorites, that SPOTMAU looks interesting and with the promo price could be a good buy.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I tried to download a free trial but they don't do one (shame)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill

I still favour Acronis True Image and I'm using version 11 at present which is working fine, had no issues with creating images or restoring them... give it a trial a free alternative is Drive Image XML

As I'm using using 1 or 2 of my PCs with test versions of OSes or other software I tent to clone alot as if a test app kills my Vista install or errors constantly I can bug the errors and then reset my PC back to before the crash, so I can continue easily. StudioT's tips are good and I do a cleanup and maybe a defrag if needed before imaging too.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

THANKS David i think i will recommend Acronis to her it seem the most user friendly and she is not PC savvy (just like me)

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

That is a key statement.

Both the programs Halo mentioned can store the 'image' in proprietary format.

You need the proprietary program to 'restore' them.

I normally regard cloning as making a copy of one hard drive or partition on another hard drive so that you can simply unplug the first and replace it directly with the second, without doing any 'restoring'. EG for upgrading to a larger hard drive.

Backup and restore are reverse processes for other (obvious) purposes.

So you need to decide which you mean.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the heads up Studiot.

It would have been nice to have tried spotmau just to see how it worked.

The reason i suggested a good backup system to her was that she (just like me) is always downloading things so it's a safe way for her to work knowing that if something goes wrong and system restore is not available she can get everything back.

I have used recovery twice already on her machine

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds