Best BackUp Program For System Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Salamander46, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi all, I have just re-installed Win XP Pro and tried using Acronis True Image 10 to back up the system partition. I tried to restore the back up to make sure it was working alright before I finished loading all my programs. However, it gets to the Acronis Loading... bit and goes no further. I have used this program before on my old computer without any problems and it really is a good tool to have. I can't understand why it won't work on my new system. I did log on to Acronis forum and read something about True Image not working if you have Samsung DVD-Roms or DVD-RW? Both my optical drives are Samsung sata connections. Could there be any truth in this.. I find it incredible if it is true!! My system is as follows

Abit AB9 M\B, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 4Gb DDR2 Memory, XFX GeForce 7600GTXXX Graphics, 2 x Sata 250Gb Western Digital Caviar H\D, 1 Samsung sata DVD-Rom SH-D 163A and 1 Samsung sata DVD-RW SH-S183, Hiper 580W P\S.

Has anybody got any ideas? I had to buy the Acronis before as it was the only one I could find that would back up 64bit. My Windows OS is XP Pro 32bit version. Does anyone know if there is any other Image Programs that will do this now?? I would be very grateful if you can help me with this. Failure to finding a solution, I might think about buying a new DVD-Rom!!:major
    Hope I have explained it clearly enough.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I use Nero back it up,and I'm satisfied with it.

3. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi, I have not tried that. I have just bought the latest version of Nero so once I get it back on my pc, I will give it a go. Is it easy to use?

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Yes,everything is in wizard fashion.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you try Acronis by loading it from either a boot CD or the set of boot floppies then restoring? I restore that way rather than trying to restore from within windows.

6. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi plodr, yes, I tried that but the same thing happened. It gets to 'Acronis is Loading' and thats as far as it goes. I used to use this program with my old computer and never had any problems backing up or restoring any partition. I used it a few times to restore the system partition and it did it beautifully. I am gutted that it is not working on this machine. I just can't work out why?? Unless there is some truth in it being to do with the Samsung drives??? although that just doesn't make sense to me...

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have the latest build of Acronis 10 in Build # 4942, if not sign in to your Acronis Online Account, or if not created one then do so and register your version, this will allow you to get the latest build.

https://eu.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/updates/index.html

Try uninstalling and reloading, then make sure in Services that all the Acronis ones are running.... had same issue as you and did an uninstall and re-install and checked the services were running.

Also have a chat with Acronis support they maybe able to help and they are very nice folk, had many dealings with a few of them.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

One workaround, though not cheap - try using an external CD or DVD drive that isn't a Samsung and see if it works. I have an external CD burner, connected by USB that I move between computers (three of mine don't have burners and in one of the computers the CD drive sometimes sees a CD and sometimes doesn't so the external has saved my posterior a few times).

9. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi plodr, thats an idea but one thing worries me.. when I am restoring a system partition, the Acronis restarts Windows and then Acronis kicks in. Will it pick up the USB connected DVD-RW before Windows has loaded properly??

10. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi Halo, I think I will ask the Acronis team and see what they say. I am sure I can't be the only one with this problem! As for the latest version, I did upgrade, but didn't get the chance to try it as the Acronis caused a problem with the ntoskrnl.exe file.. so had to re-install Windows and didn't want to put Acronis back on until I found a solution to the problem. Does that make sense?? lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds