Best Browser for Kiosk Computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by puffmastermark, May 3, 2006.

1. puffmastermark

puffmastermark Private E-2

Hello,

I work in a computer lab where we give online exams. We are trying to set up the lab to where the web browser goes into kiosk mode and does not allow the student to close the window or pretty much do anything besides take the test. I was wondering if anyone knows what the best browser for this type of thing would be and/or any sort of registry edits or GPO's we could use? We are running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Microsoft's Shared Computer Toolkit is a good start for the machine. It would allow you to utilize Deep Freeze type reimaging, along with being able to lock the machine down to keep any changes from being done.

As for Browsers, if the machine is not hooked up to the outside world, Internet Explorer should suffice perfectly. If connected to the outside world (Internet), then make sure that the A/V which should be updated anyways is up to date, along with correct policies in place.

If the IT department has done their job as they should, the groups of machines that do not need outside access, will not get it anyways through the system that they have in place to make sure of that.

3. puffmastermark

puffmastermark Private E-2

Thank you very much for the advice. I will definitely try out your suggestion. The lab computers are connected to the internet because our tests are given on the internet. I will definitely look into these things. Thanks again.

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds