Best drive setup ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugsey Hogan, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

What are your suggestions as to the best way to set up drives as to primary master/slave secondry master/slave asuming 2ide cables. the drives I wish to setup are 2 hdds 1cdrw and 1dvd rw.Also suggested boot order.Thanks

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

2 IDEs on one cable, it's down to personal preference which you have master and which you have slave. I'd have the smaller one as master and the bigger drive as slave, for backup, music etc.

With regards to the optical drives I'd have the DVD RW drive as master and the CD RW as slave. I'd have 1 IDE cable for the two optical drives and 1 for the hard drives.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think I'd want whichever drive is the faster one to be master and have my OS running on it, for better performance. It this happens to be the larger drive and you want to use it for storing music, etc., in addition to installing the OS and programs, then partition it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As usafveteran, I too would have the fastest HD as the Primary Master, no matter what its size, well so long as it's large enough for the OS and apps.

I'd be inclined to go like this and generally do.

Primary Master = HD 1 ( fastest drive if possible )
    Primary Slave = HD 2

Secondary Master = DVDRW
    Secondary Slave = CDRW

and in your BIOS set the boot order to the Primary Master HD as 1st boot device, then the DVDRW as second and remove any others if listed in that list ( I do tend to only have the HD listed as my 1st boot device, if I need to boot to CD/DVD I will set it if and when )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds