Best drivers for the PowerColor PCS+ HD5870?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rovelius, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Rovelius

Rovelius Private E-2

Hello fellow geeks,

last week I bought this rig in the hopes of playing Crysis Very High 1920x1080 with at least 45~50 FPS's (like I saw a lot of times on YT). But the highest my rig can get (when it's not stuttering) is a measly 25~30 FPS's. So, do you guys have any driver to recommend? Since the heat isn't an issue, that should be the problem...

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz Quad-Core
    GPU: PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD5870
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 1.3GHz PC3-10700
    MOB: Gigabyte 770TA-UD3

Catalyst version : 10.6

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

To be honest the best drivers are usually the latest available ones from as your GPU is an ATi one then ATi, however saying that, many OEMs do tinker a bit with the setups of GPUs so if you are using an ATi unified default driver then try the actual PowerColor driver for your model card, and vice versa, if using PowerColor use ATi's unified driver.

ATi driver HERE for Win7
    PowerColor driver HERE

Also make sure you dont have any un-needed applications running in the background as they can use up CPU and GPU time, thus lowering FPS, so disable any background tasks and give your PC a bit of a spring clean using this guide HERE (most if not all the apps listed should work with Win7 x64), and see how your FPS goes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds