Best games for an old laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wally0311, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Wally0311

Wally0311 Private E-2

In a few months Im headed back to Iraq. This time Im bringing my old laptop (Celeron M 340 [1.5 w/ 512 megs of ram]). Whatre the best games that I should bring along, keeping in mind that its an older laptop, so they cant be very demanding? Im planning on bringing:

-Close Combat: Battle of the Bulge
    - SimTheme Park
    -Jagged Alliance 2 (w/ expansion)
    -Soldier of Fortune
    -Neverwinter Nights Gold
    -Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

I havnt tried all of these out yet, but Im expecting most of them to work pretty well. HD space isnt a consideration b/c Im bringing an external for all my movies, etc, and will install all the games to the internal one.
    Any other suggestions though? Im primarily looking for the sort of games that will help 7 months fly by and that I normally wouldnt be able to dedicate serious time to back here in the States (without my wife getting mad at me, that is ;))
    Thanks in advance.
    -Mark

2. Nailgun

Nailgun Private E-2

Thank You for your service to our Nation!
    God Bless and Get one for me!

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Now, for some more helpful advice. If you like Neverwinter, try Baldur's Gate 1/2, Fallout 2, and perhaps Total Annihilation.

4. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

THANK YOU for helping to keep it the Land of the Free
    May God or whoever you may worship bring you back safely!!!

Links (golf)
    Command & Conquer

5. buachille

buachille Private E-2

get medal of honour allied assault. very good game and it runs well on my old 1.4ghz 768 meg of ram laptop.

6. Nailgun

Nailgun Private E-2

I did want to point out a linux distro that is free and come with quake3/4 UT2004, lots of others too. I run it duel boot with xp and oh ya it's a live disk but you can install it to the HD if it runs ok from the cd ok. It take me from boot to internet around 45 second. Checkout pclinuxos.org and look for the Supergamer version. I think you will find that linux works very well with older systems.
    Good luck.

7. British TV Nut

British TV Nut Corporal

With you mentioning Sim Theme Park, if you have a copy of it, I think Sim Tower is a great game to play around with. I've always loved that game more than I have Sim City. Maybe some of the old Doom or Duke Nukem might be a great add-on as well.

I also like the suggestion of using Linux. I wonder if having Linux on a CD might help, but then you'd probably have to have the game installed in order to play them.

Hope you have a safe trip and return home safely too! Take care!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds