Best Laptop < $1000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pharrox, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Pharrox

Pharrox Private E-2

Well my motherboard recently died and I decided that instead of spending the money to fix a computer that will be completely obsolete anyway I would just buy a laptop which I've been meaning to do for a few years.

I've looked around some, but I do want to get the opinions of people who know more about this stuff. My limit is basically $1000 after rebates/sales/etc.. It will be used for a llot of video editing and coding, but also gaming every once in a while. What are your recommendations for a good laptop I could get for this price?

Thanks.

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are going to be hard pressed to find a laptop in that price range that's going to do what you want and be happy about the way it's doing it. IMHO you're gonna need to spend around $1400-$1500 for a decent laptop with enough cajones to make you happy. Take a look at Lenovo they make a solid machine.........

3. Pharrox

Pharrox Private E-2

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really expect to get much. Gaming isn't really that big of a deal (I've started using consoles a lot more), but I can't really go any higher.

As for going to the stores and checking the things mentioned, that's basically what I've been doing. Still, there always seems to be someone on the internet who knows where to get a great deal. Back when 4GB sd cards were pretty expensive I was able to get two $200 cards for $10 each. A sale through the manufacturer, a sale through the website, a rebate through the manufacturer, a rebate through the site, and a discount for using a certain credit card.

I've seen other things like that over time ($1500 tv for $500 after four savings). I don't really expect anyone to go looking around for me, but I was just asking in case someone has seen something similar while browsing through websites. Obviously I'll check what I can myself, but often those kind of places are pretty obscure.

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i typically scan the ads every weekend (in my area), bestbuy, circuit city, office depot, office max, frys. you also need to factor in the extended warranty. i always recommend the extended warranty to anyone that buys a laptop:

1 - they tend to run hotter.
    2 - i've had a couple crap out right around a year.
    3 - i doubt they cover the battery, but i've had 2 go out @ a year (or sooner)

you can also checkout sites like - http://www.newegg.com/ , http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp , http://www.tigerdirect.com/ ,

if you find something maybe you can post the specs, and see what others think?? - g/l, sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds