Best Migrating/ Cloning Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by timw128, Jun 9, 2015.

1. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Hello- I have a new computer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, and I bought an SSD to install for my OS and Programs. I bought a Samsung 850 Pro and want to migrate the OS and progs from the HDD to the SSD. Should I use the free tool at the Samsung site, or is there something better?

Also, I am wondering if I have to make a Registry change before or after I do this. The change I refer to is the 'msahci>start' data value from 3 to 1, and the 'pciide>start' data value from 3 to 1.

Thanks for any input in adavance.

tim

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I lean toward Macrium, but the Samsung software offers it's own tweaks like using your system's RAM as a cache (rapid DRAM caching).

3. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used Macrium and Acronis (free from the WD site, since using their HDD's) without any issues in the XP days. My thought was 'Samsung SSD, Samsung software', is all.

Do you knowing anything regarding the 'Start' switches I referred to in the registry?... this is my first experience with an SSD and I would like to get it right on the first try. Maybe a query best posed in the Hardware section.

I bought this brand new pc from HP about a month ago and found it far more efficient to upgrade it myself with 32GB RAM, SSD, PS, and Graphics Card rather than pay HP a bunch for lower grade components. I've never been much of one for warranties on electronic goods. Usually, if something key is going to fail, it'll fail sooner than later.

tim

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Those keys are really only needed if you are switching to AHCI if you were not using it previously, which is highly unlikely.

Your BIOS should be operating under AHCI by default.

5. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Thank you much for your help, 'mekanic'... 'tis greatly appreciated. :)

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I've used the Samsung 3 times. It works great. You might want Acronis if you want to make an image later as Samsung software is simply migration only.

7. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Yes, indeed, you are correct, sir. I thank you for validating the Samsung software.

tim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds