BEST Network backup drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maglib, Jan 25, 2011.

1. maglib

maglib Private First Class

Need to be able to wirelessly backup 4 laptops . 1 Vista, 1 XP, 1 mac and 1 Windows 7. My last WD drive has become unusable causing the desktop to freeze when attached. Would most likely set each to back up 1x weekly on different days.

Any suggestions as I've heard the Apple time machine but I then hear it doesn't last just like WD has issues.

Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 34766 not out but will be soon.

IoSafe which is water and fire proof. Is it worth the extra money?

Technical knowledge is limited in this area. I've been able to maintain all these pc's virus free with help from some of you. So technically I'm mediocre...

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I would go with an external unit that allows you to both set up RAID 1 (mirrored backups) and install/remove your own drives. Some of the units with the HDD(s) included are sealed - if a drive has to be replaced and re-mirrored using RAID, you cannot do it yourself without voiding the warranty or possibly damaging the enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Univers...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1296010659&sr=1-2

I've used this d-link model for client setups. One of its nicer features is allowing you to password protect individual folders - ideal if kids or roommates have access to it.

For the bare hard drives to go in the system, drives labeled as "enterprise" or "RAID" are the best (higher grade, designed to survive in business class servers that run 24/7).

Here is a 500GB with high customer ratings (remember, if using RAID 1 to "clone" the data, two 500GB drives will only equal 500GB of storage and both drives should be the same capacity):

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Univers...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1296010659&sr=1-2

Although NewEgg doesn't show then, I have found Samsung "RAID" or "enterprise" 1TB drives at Fry's for as low as $69/each - good quality.

Hope this helps. :)

3. maglib

maglib Private First Class

Sadly I'll begin with my lack of knowledge in back ups. I am not sure what RAID nor HDD means. Both of the links went to a power adapter. Previous backup that I did was a direct backup to an external HD and I've never done backing up over a network nor attempted multiple pc's...so basically I'm not too far from step 1..

Need something simple to use that I can just set up automatic backing up and let it go.

Thanks for your help and time.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (sometimes it's easier to abbreviate ;) ).

RAID is an acronym for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Devices. In layman's terms, it either "stripes" data across multiple drives for more storage space or "mirrors" the data so - if one drive crashes - a duplicate still exists.

RAID 1 is today's subject lesson. Using two hard drives of the same capacity, it writes identical data on both (a "mirror" image). It also checks to be sure both drives are continously identical. If the RAID system detects one of the two drives has failed or is corrupted, it warns you to replace the bad drive.

If you only had one drive and it died, you would likely lose all the files. Using RAID 1, you pop out the defective drive, pop in a new one and it rebuilds the mirror image on the new drive (no losing data or having to re-do all your backups from scratch).

First, look for a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device such as the one I posted. It can be set up using RAID 1, plus it works with both Mac and Windows.

Installing the drives in it is easy. Think of like a toaster - slide the drives in then close the lid. (This is why I do not like ones with the drives already built in. If you eventually have to replace one of the two drives a sealed-up model won't let you do this).

Once the HDDs are installed, it comes with a CD to guide you through the setup process for the storage device and each of your PCs/Macs (similar to setting up a home Wi-Fi router). This includes instructions for setting up backups within either Windows or Mac OS.

Hopefully this made it easier to understand. Feel free to repost with any other questions.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds