Best Oprating system that suite 128 RAM ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Majid, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Majid

Majid Private E-2

Hello,

I have 128 mb RAM memory and Intel Celeron 1.7 MHz prossesr. What would be the best Oprating system that suite this specifications? I need something could make my PC fast.

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I would stick 98se on it.

3. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

Hi, Majid!
    In my opinion the best decision is Windows XP in this case. It's slightly too little amount of RAM of course, but situation with Win 2000 hardly is better... Win 98 requires less amount of RAM of course, but it has SO many bugs that I'm ashamed of advising it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Win98SE which is the best 9x version, at least has more USB support than the others OR why not try your hand at Linux... many to choose from and they run with less overheads than windows.

5. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

I run win98se on my other computer, and it has only 96mb of ram, with a slower processor than yours, and it is pretty quick. Obviously it wont do much gaming, but for email, surfing, etc... its fine.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I hate to say it because I'm not a big linux fan, but with your proc and only 128MB of RAM, linux would smoke.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm taking a Red Hat 9 class right now, and I think there's a lot of nice features in linux that would be helpful to me but I also think there's a lot of convolution and lack of consitency over distro's. If I learn Red Hat, only the core of linux is the same so if I go to SUSE, there will be some difference that I will have to adjust to. Couple that with the myriad of distro's and it becomes difficult to gauge which distro would suite my needs best. Then if I started to work with one distro, lets say development with mono, how can I be sure my app will work on a good portion of distro's.. Perhaps mono was a bad choice to describe the scenario as it is a framework.

I've still much to learn about Linux and my outlook may change but right now it's more negative than positive. I'd say 60/40 bad/good

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I recently got into linux also. Though, my background was more in the lines of Solaris and HPUX.

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Win98SE is a good choice for a system with those specs. However, if you wish to try linux, there are several good distros that will run on that system.

SimplyMEPIS
    Fedora Core 4
    CentOS 4

are just a few, a couple of good places to search for linux distros are:
    Linux Online
    LinuxISo_Org

Knoppix Live CD is a good distro to start with. You can use it straight form the CD without installing anything on the HDD. If you chose to it can be installed and ran from the HDD at a later date.

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Halo. Stick with W98SE. You can use USB on W98SE but you have to download the appropriate OEM driver. No hassle, I have done it at least 3 times. W95 doesn't support USB, as far as I can ascertain. All OS'es later than W98SE recognise USB devices when plugged in and use generic driver from M$. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds