best program to hide IP??

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Aug 5, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hi.
    I am trying to hide my ip as I have security concerns. I do not make phone calls or produce videos, and am careful of the sites I go on. Would appreciate suggestions as to what would be an effective, preferably free, program to do this.
    Thanks,
    Alterintel

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Nick,
    Thanks for the input. But when I went to the link you provided it referred to a program called 'Anchor". My understanding was that it only works on wireless, not cable, which is what I have.

alterintel

4. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

I am reading some old posts on MG about hiding one's ip. One of them, from 2007, says that you may be able to deceive the end user into thinking you have a different ip. However, your messages go through many different servers and any one of them could be able to trace back to your original ip. The poster said that the internet isn't really private, and for real privacy stay off net.
    I am wondering if this is still true, or if better technology has changed the situation?
    Alterintel

5. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

For many VPN programs, 1024-bit SSL encryption is used for establishing the secure connection, by way of negotiating a 128-bit AES key that's unique for each connection. Although theoretically hackable, I don't think that it's likely for anyone to go through that kind of trouble to get your real IP address.... unless you're Edward Snowden or the like. You're real name isn't Ed, is it? ;)

Although I know a little about this type of program, I've never personally used one so I can't give you any recommendation for a specific program.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is your computer connected directly to the cable modem or do you have a router between your computer and the modem?

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr,
    I kinda know what you may be getting at, but as this is a public forum, may I take a pass on this one?

8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rusty Savage, you are such a geek.:-D And I am such a tech illiterate. What on earth did you just say? 10240bit ssl and AES key?? Eek! Wait while I frantically google all that so you won't think I'm too dumb. By the way, the emoticons aren't working. Just clicked on 'more' under smilies and nothing came up.
    Now in regard to no one taking the trouble to search me out; well, that is the whole idea - to get people to think that about me. But one never knows; I could be a neuter of mystery.
    Alterintel

9. rustysavage

Please don't be too impressed - I know what is done to establish that type of connection but I have no idea how it's done. I know as much about encryption as I do about quantum physics. :confused I too am constantly Googling in order to keep my head above water in many threads. You're inquisitive and willing to learn and that's what really counts.

I didn't mean to be cavalier about protecting one's IP address and I fully understand you wanting to do everything possible to secure your internet connections. However, since I don't use that type of software I'm really not qualified to advise you. Nevertheless, I'm putting it on my list of things that I need to school myself on (man, that's a long list).

As for the emoticon issue, I've never heard of that particular problem before.

• Which browser are you using?
    • Did the "More" button ever work properly in the past?
    • Are you using any type of browser add-on that intentionally blocks selective page content (like NoScript)?

10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hello Rustysavage;

The more button is working okay now.

I am having a problem right now just since I came on this site, and I was on the net quite abit before, for hours. My mouse doesn't seem to be working right. Or maybe its the keyboard. I have to hit the letters really hard to get them to show up onscreen. Usually I just tap them. Really slowing down my typing, and just since I came on just a couple minutes ago. What could be causing this?
    alterintel

11. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Testing testing
    Okay, this is unique to this site. Still sluggish with the keys. When I type in my address bar by the google icon this sluggishness isn't there. Only when I type in this window.
    Wonder why?
    alterintel

12. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

Previously, I used to use StrongVPN to surf and download. They forwarded me a few DMCA warnings for downloading copy righted videos.

I then ditched them and was on a long hunt to find a VPN that really protects me and I finally did!

Private Internet Access

Features:

- Gives you an IP Address in various locations in the world
    - Excellent uncapped speed with no download limit
    - They do not keep logs
    - Plans are very affordable around 8 USD per month and once you have a plan, you can connect using that same account on 2 computers simultaneously and 3 mobile devices simultaneously! No other VPN gives you such flexibility!
    - Your IP is a shared IP rather than a dedicated one so even if DMCA forced them by a court order to give your logs...

a) The logs will be blank
    b) Since the IP they give to each user is a shared IP, noone can prove who downloaded what

Security Layers

Technologies

1. [​IMG]PPTP
    2. [​IMG]OpenVPN
    3. [​IMG]IPSEC/L2TP
    4. [​IMG]SOCKS5 (Proxy)

For a quick video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SuD7aZQ4aq4

13. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Maximus,
    I am very concerned about protecting my online identity. So if I just go to the youtube link it will tell me the name of the virtual private network you are speaking of?
    Thanks a lot for all this information.
    Alterintel

14. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Along the line of what we are discussing; ie, protecting our online identies, ips; I am having a problem today that is blowing my mind; it only just occurred within the hour.
    I do not have a static ip; it changes. I often unhook my connection thru the day, and that changes the ip. Usually, when I go to facebook [that great enemy to privacy; and boon to con artists and the like], I have to sign in with my email and password. [ I may make a separate thread about this but it also could apply here.] Today when I went to facebook my email was already there, though not the password. I clicked out of the window then came back and it was still there. Closed ff, came back, email address still there. Then I unhooked my internet connection, which should have changed the ip, and my email address was still there! Can someone respond to this as I am really worried. Is this something new facebook is doing, and if so, how do they know it is me?:eek
    Have I been hacked into?
    alterintel

15. rustysavage

You should probably start a new thread, since this matter is a more specific (Facebook related) query that goes beyond recommendations for IP hiding apps.

16. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I would think this was because of the cookie. I don't think a change in your IP address will stop the cookie working but if I'm wrong, someone please say so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds