Best Software to Repair Registry?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rockyjo, May 16, 2014.

1. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Hello,

My pc is not accepting new installs for wireless adapters nor updating the existing one. Also, gives a wlanuhn.sys error and BSODs.

It seems that there are other files that have been corrupted such as registry errors (?) that need to be repaired so that the pc will accept an install and not BSOD due to the wireless adapter driver.

What software(s) works well for repairing registry errors like my pc might have?

Thank you.

Rockyjo

2. hgqasd1

hgqasd1 Private E-2

system mechanic 12.5 professional.Trial can also repair your computer.

3. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Any software that claims to repair registry problems is all marketing garbage, with no substance to its claims. The best they can do is cause further damage to your system.
    What operating system are you running? What specifically is this wlanuhn.sys error?

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have heard this works wonders:

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 2.7.1:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

Haven't ever used it. I always thought it was just for Windows Vista or 7 but MGs says it will work with XP too. Anyway, it is a back end way to fix parts of Windows, and it seems that it many times finds the right ones.

Here is a second option which may require an installation disk:

Run SFC /SCANNOW:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I'll stand with AtlBo on the Tweaking.com-Windows Repair 2.7.1, I've used the program quite a few times and it not only worked but also saved me a lot of money. ;)

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Repairing the registry is not going to happen if you have major corruption and no app will fix a corrupt issue in the registry, what they will do is in the main delete old unused keys at best, this is helpful mind as it reduces clutter, this may have the effect of fixing an issue with a specific app.

But can you fix the registry well no, unless you know how to manually edit registry keys and value data. Reason I say no is how will a 3rd party application know what a key or value should be?!

Applications that state they will speed up your PC with a registry clean are hokum, as the registry is small in reality and any removal or compaction of unused keys will have a negligible effect on speed, may make a sluggish app open a bit quicker if it has registry corruption but this will be rare.

If you have BSODs then what is the full BSOD code and what is the make and model of your PC as likelihood is that your have a driver issue and not a registry one, so in Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks and if so by what device.

What is your Windows version and Service Pack?

As mentioned SFC /SCANNOW is worth running to fix any corrupt Windows file.

But you may need to re-install your chipset and wireless driver, and reboot after installing the chipset for your model of PC.

7. rockyjo

rockyjo Private E-2

Thank you very much for your helpful comments.

I suspect that there are registry errors because the pc isn't allowing me to install wireless drivers whether previous one was uninstalled via Device Manager, or installed over, or a new device; and I read online that corrupted drivers can cause corrupted registry files. (You all know more about this than I do.)

Here are the answer to your questions:

Win XP Pro Sp.3; IBM A31 Thinkpad Type 2652-C5U. (I have run malware checks and nothing shows up thankfully (AVG)).

Qwest 11n wireless usb adapter. (WLANUHN.sys driver says: Atheros Extensible Wireless driver, Atheros Communications, Inc., driver version 3.0.0.131, which seems like it came with the adapter, but Qwest/Centurylink says it came from Windows with the pc--who's right??). Sometimes the Qwest adapter works (connects), sometimes not. When it connects, it is only a relatively short time before receive a BSOD, usually with WLANUHN.sys identified by Windows as the culprit, sometimes referring to Page Fault in Non Paged Area, infrequently just says Stop error. For sure, if you click on email or Majorgeeks to respond, or scroll through web pages, it will BSOD. More often than not says due to WLANUHN.sys. It does not show as ! in Device Mgr, but obviously doesn't work right. I will try to upload the report.

Qwest/CenturyLink said problem is because the adapter wore out, get another one. Got Linksys, it never installed.

High Rate Wireless LAN Mini PCI Combo Card internal OEM. I don't think it ever worked (I don't think I ever used it or tried it; internet provider just installed the adapter (maybe that's why)). Have tried to update, and uninstall/install, with more recent driver from Lenovo site, and install didn't take, at least so far. Driver Fusion has been suggested by falconattack to clean it out and try again. Now has a ! next to it.

Modem/router: Qwest ZyXtel PK5000Z. Works but router or something routinely drops the connection every few minutes. I will try updating firmware for it, but that will be after this problem.

BTW, the ethernet plug in is damaged, otherwise I'd use it.

Looks like the BSOD dump descriptions uploaded.

So, I thought some related registry corruption, is that the most likely as to why attempts to install new drivers haven't loaded, or what do you surmise?

What order should I try your suggestions in relative to trying to install either driver (for the Qwest or HRW Lan Combo Card) again?

Thank you,

Rockyjo

PS. Yes, this is typed on a different pc.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds