best vga splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdmckee, May 30, 2010.

1. mdmckee

mdmckee Private E-2

i believe this would be in the correct category
    i have a HP DV7 i got 2 monitors i wanna add. there are a few kinds that i have seen im not sure which to get.

the box with the plug or the female the splits

thats y i have this post please help

HP DV7 with single vga adapter
    Acer 19 wide screen
    Dell 1907 square

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Do you want to have a tri monitor setup or just the same picture on all three monitors?

3. mdmckee

mdmckee Private E-2

i would like a tri setup not the same pic. i am not sure what to buy ie a power splitter or the $3 fem to dual male.

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

you will need to buy a new video card. I think you will need to buy two to run 3 monitors. Each monitor needs it's own VGA/DVI port to have it's own picture. Most new cards have dual DVI ports for dual monitor support.

5. mdmckee

mdmckee Private E-2

its a laptop

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Then you can only run 2 monitors unless you purchase a USB to VGA adaptor that will allow you to use it as a third monitor.

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I'm not sure if it's possible with a laptop.

May want to look at USB video cards.

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I think he is already using one of his monitor ports. I think laptops only allow for one external monitor by default.

9. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Matrox makes something called a TripleHead2Go that will split a single video card output to 2 or 3 screens. Basically, I think, the video card just sees it as a large monitor. 3840x1024 (3x1280x1024) or 5040x1050 (3x1680x1050). Then the box splits up the resolution onto the three monitors which are plugged into it. You should be fine with desktop applications, but you can probably forget about gaming on a laptop with a 5040x1050 resolution.

Also, I would guess that it works best with 3 monitors that are the exact same size. It might be kind of funny with 3 monitors with different resolutions.

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Depends on the USB splitter and GPU, I would have thought.

If your GPU can handle 3480 x 1024 or 5040 x 1024 that is. And what about widescreen?

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Actually, the Matrox TripleHead2Go adds the capability for that type of output resolution. We have a couple at work. Though, they can be a pain to setup

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds