Best way to transfer all files from laptop to desktop ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Jul 18, 2009.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Would like to have desktop as 'backup' for laptop (both Dells, same OS etc), ie transfer files weekly, in case laptop crashes, can go to desktop.

Thinking hardwire transfer is best ?

Have Acronis True Image 10, but maybe periodic direct (non-compressed file) transfer is best ?

Thoughts/suggestions ?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Are the two computers networked, or could they be with your existing hardware? In other words, do you have a router which allows both computers to access the Internet via one ISP account? If so, I would get the computers networked so that you can enable file sharing between them over the network, meaning through the router.

3. akm

akm Sergeant

4. tym

tym Corporal

While Its Always wise to keep important stuff burned to disk "just in case" I found a simple cheep external harddrive works best.

I found a segate external harddrive, 250 gig at wall mart for like 60 bucks. It is small enough to fit in the front pocket of a shirt. It transfers by usb. The more I use it the more I depend on it. I keep my laptop and desktop backed up using nortons ghost 14.

I found the transfer using usb really goes rather quick and Not only does Xp but windows 7 pick up on it the second I plug it into the usb port. Not long ago My laptop would not boot. Put in the nortons restore disk, Pluged in my external hardrive, and the restore worked like a charm.

5. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    Already have all normal disk backups on external HDs.
    In this case am looking to have a 'duplicate' of the laptop at the desktop... not just a backup of data etc, but a real-time duplicate of all files on the laptop... OS and all, as much as possible, so the laptop could crash and could go to the desktop and finish up where left off with laptop (well, almost where left off :) )

6. akm

akm Sergeant

Guess there is no answer here.

Just trying to make a duplicate of a laptop on a desktop in case the
    laptop dies... and do it with a hardwire 'backup' or copy of the laptop to the desktop.

Any recommendations for another thread or forum ?

7. Suff

Suff Private E-2

Why not compress a iso into a zip.
    Keep it in your documents until you need it.
    get a Usb 2.0 cable and transfer the file.
    You say your networked =/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds