Best Way to wipe everything off except OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by LH55US, Jul 1, 2009.

1. LH55US

LH55US Private E-2

I have a computer that I want to sell. Time for an upgrade. I want to wipe everything off the hard drive with the exception of the OS (Windows XP Home Edition) and the SP's.

What is the best(easiest) way to do this?

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

To be honest the best and safest way is to clean install Windows again or use the restore setup if your PC is from Dell, HP etc to get it back to factory settings, otherwise its a case of after backing up your personal stuff for transfer to new PC (if thats what the scenario is) and then deleting app personal files and folders,

Delete likes of....
    Internet favs
    Internet Settings for ISP
    Any software that you hold the licence for like Office, Antivirus etc
    Emails and email settings
    Personal images and files

then dont empty the recycle bin, but run the likes of CCleaner to securely delete the recycle bin and temp folders etc, to do this download CCleaner and then click when run Options > and choose Secure File Deletion and from the dropdown choose NSA (7 pass) and then choose in the wipe free space box the drive letters you have for HDDs eg C: etc then run the cleaner and then the registry cleaner (registry cleaner until noting is found).

Then double check that no personal files are on the PC.

As I said to be honest the best way to do this is to format and clean install but you'd need the original CD or a Restore Partition to do this.

3. HVS

HVS Private E-2

I'll be interested in the responses you (LH55US) get on your question/query.

I too have a IBM R-40 Lenovo laptop that I am thinking about selling on EBay but I am very reluctant to even list it before I can wipe the HD. My biggest concern in wiping the HD is that I do "not" have the original disc that was used to load XP Pro. The OS is "legal" and I do have the COA but........no disc.

I am also wondering if I will be able to save the MS Office (2000) package that is loaded to the HD? Again, legal but no disc...:confused

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I would assume that an XP machine without the operating CD's is not of very much value......unless you are buying it to run a form of Linux.

5. Greywood1862

Greywood1862 Private First Class

Not always true. I've got several Dells running XP Home that never had a disk. You restore them from a partition of the hard disk.

I don't know if this always applies to XP Home, but the XP Pro machines I have all have a disk.

I do have a question: is the disk specific to the machine it came with? For example, I have 8 XP Pro machines, each with their own product key. I also have 8 disks. Could I use the same single disk to restore all of the computers as long as I used their individual product keys?

6. HVS

HVS Private E-2

EBay is loaded with literally thousands of machines with no installation discs, in fact, that's where I got the machine I am posting about.

7. HVS

HVS Private E-2

So..........what you're saying (not trying to put words in your mouth...) is that if I can find an installation disc, and I already have a valid COA, I should be able to reinstall XP Pro...:confused

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Correct

9. HVS

HVS Private E-2

THANKS...:highfive

10. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just to add a word of caution here, whilst you may be lucky and bypass or be allowed activation the first time around, the latest WGA process has the capability to scan your hardware and if your hardware does not match the brand of PC your key was issued for, it may fail WGA.

Just make sure you use a Dell key on a Dell PC - a key issued to Medion might fail WGA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds