Best ways to hide your own ip address?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr. Nuclear Core, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Nuclear Core

Dr. Nuclear Core Private E-2

I've used services like Ghostsurf, but after awhile it doesn't work becuase it sitll ends up getting detected and the real ip comes through. I know of a program called Tor, but I'm not very technical into figuring out how to use it. Any other programs or ways to hide an ip address, preferably working ways.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Gentleman, hiding your ip is not something uncommon, if you can not help, please keep your opinions and suspicions to yourself, your not being of any help. I have removed all posts of no help so you can see how this should have gone.

3. tym

tym Corporal

Ad Muncher offers a i/p scrambler. You can give it a shot. Its free for 30 days. When you pick a i/p you can test it to see if it shows your real one or not. I/P scrambler is ad munchers way of saying "surf anomious. I did try it and it works ok. Just rember your surfing will be slower.

4. Dr. Nuclear Core

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for deleting the unhelpful stuff whatever it was, Major.
    --
    Anyways I've tried Anonymizer and it didn't work either. I think they still have a way of seeing my real ip.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

My pleasure!

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can go through a proxy server. I'm not sure of exactly how this is done, but I have a how-to guide around here somewhere. Give me a little time, and when I find it, I'll post the info or a link or whatever... ;)

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please refrain from posting advice in the tech forums that you cannot back up with concrete facts. If and when you have that information, then make your post. This is much more helpful to the Original Poster and anyone else reading, and ensures completeness of information.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Sorry, my bad :eek: Just wanted to mention something I had heard of... anyway... attached is a zip file of text docs (one of 'em requires Word) about proxies. Some of the info may be a bit old, but the concept is still the same. I got this info from an old "hacker" type of guy I knew back in the day. I hope this helps...

Attached Files:

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Get a USB flash drive, download and put TorPark on it
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Torpark_d5395.html
    you now have anonymous browsing. (It isn't hard to do this way).
    Warning...it will be slow both because it is running from a flash drive and because it is going through a server to grab web pages.

10. Buckeyefan

Buckeyefan Private E-2

11. Dr. Nuclear Core

JAP works, but I'm worried if they figure out the ip it uses or whatever, there's only so many free servers.
    --
    And thank you so much guys, all of you have been a great help on my quest to personal security.

12. Dr. Nuclear Core

Well tor seemed to show a different ip, but the place was still able to record my root ip, ie: my real ip. So.. I'm wondering.. is it really possible to make your root ip invisible?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  13. key

key Private E-2

Vidalia Bundle + Firefox is a very effective combination..you should try it.

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If someone wants to find out your IP, they will.

Tor is great for obfuscating your IP a bit - for traffic that's directed to use it.

What about the rest of the user's net traffic? By default, Tor only does HTTP, SSL, and SOCKS. What about the FTP protocols? What about ICMP? What about IMAP/POP/SMTP?

The nature of the internet is NOT private. Try this for an illustration:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'CMD' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click the 'OK' button)
    4. At the command prompt, type 'tracert www.majorgeeks.com'
    5. Press enter

The command prompt will now show you every router your traffic has to pass through to simply connect to majorgeeks. I have at least 10 "hops". This is with privoxy/vidalia/tor installed and running on my machine.

That's how the internet works: it's inter-network traffic. You access different servers by travelling through the networks that provide the fastest available route. You don't have a direct connection.

With Tor, you have an encrypted connection from the proxy (Privoxy) you install on your computer to a server in the Tor network, but you still have to get to that server. Any hop along the way could potentially log, and decrypt your data at their leisure.

Tor and proxy servers might fool the end server into thinking you're using a different IP, but if you TRULY want privacy, stay off the internet.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Excellent points, mada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds