BF2 diff. help

Discussion in 'Software' started by eox, Jun 10, 2006.

1. eox

eox Private First Class

alright, now ive recently decided i was just going to buy a new comp. and yes i kno every1 hates a dell comp. but i have to make it a dell so dont nag me bout it..(my dad said only if its dell..but he wont listen to me) anyways, the cause of all this is, well my stinkin comp. is out of date, and i want a pretty intense, high end comp. and so my question is, is this a good enough comp. to run bf2? http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXPS700R1&s=dhs i mean i kno bf2 has some weird seetings but i was courious if the Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS would run bf2..?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That system should be able to run just about any game (if not all) at full detail, and at high resolution.

3. eox

eox Private First Class

really? cause i remember hearing stuff how bf2 had problems running newer graphics cards...i just wanna see bf2 in its highest quality, run smooth and fine

4. Insomniac

I'm talking as far as power is concerned.

If the game is buggy, or not coded well, not much you can do, regardless of how much money you throw at a system.

5. eox

eox Private First Class

awh, i see...

6. eox

eox Private First Class

idk if dell had a typ-o or something but they talk bout the "Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS" but i cant seem to find a review of any GS 7900...typo maybe?

7. eox

eox Private First Class

anybody know?

8. Insomniac

Not sure what you're asking.

There is a 7900GS, and they can be used in SLI.

9. Insomniac

10. eox

eox Private First Class

what is OEM..?

11. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Yes that card is real but only through OEM and that is why you don't see any reviews on it. You should be looking for reviews on the entire computer instead.

Yes that PC should play BF2 fine. BF2 is a known memory hog and for that reason alone I rec. buying 2GB of memory over just 1GB. Go to any BF2 forum and ask. 2GB is the way to go.

12. eox

eox Private First Class

0o ok, yeah i was also trying to find reviews for the comp. but i couldnt...i think im guna go with this card instead, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card....my options are 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX , Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS or the 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card..what would u guys say between those?

13. lubetek

the 7950 ftw

14. Insomniac

That card is a dual GPU card, and if you run it in SLI, that will make it a quad sli system.

Personally, I think it's a waste of money, and there aren't any games or applications that are coded to take advantage of such a setup.

There were also problems with nVidia's drivers for quad SLI, although that may have been fixed up by now.

Bottom line is, if you are going SLI, I wouldn't go for quad at the moment.

At least not until the technology matures.

15. eox

eox Private First Class

s0o what card would u go with!?

16. Insomniac

If I was going SLI, I would go for a 7900GT, or if money wasn't an issue, a 7900GTX.

Quad SLI is too new a technology (at least at retail level) to even contemplate, as far as I'm concerned.

Don't just take my word for it though, get other people's opinions before making such a big decision.

17. lubetek

18. Insomniac

It may be the fastest, but it has drawbacks.

It's $200 more to begin with!

Unless you have a display that can handle over 1600 x 1200, then it's not really put to ultimate use.

Quad SLI hasn't been proved yet, so if you decide to go Quad later you may be disappointed.

Buying bleeding edge or latest technology is never a good idea, and always costs a premium.

For the average user or gamer, it's not a good choice, and it's not the fastest for every game or application, only artificial benchmarks.

The card has got a lot going for it like size (apart from the double-slot design like the 7900GTX), power consumption, running temperature and performance etc, but you need to seriously consider the drawbacks as well when making such an important purchase.

19. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Like Insomniac said, Quad SLI doesnt provide a noticable performance boost and can only really be unleashed when you have a monstrous screen, at least 30 inches, with the resolution cranked WAAAAAAAY up. Its just not a wise investment as of now. Id go 7900gt SLI or just get a 7900GTX. Either of those setups will run anything today maxed out easily. Just cause u got the money doesnt mean you have to spend it ;)

BTW, MaximumPC got their hands on a quad SLI system, if u can, get a copy of it (July 2006 issue) if you really are interested in going that direction

20. lubetek

I'd still buy the 7950. Thats just me though. If I had money to burn as this kid does, or should I say his dad does. If money were no object then i'd buy the best of everything and I'd be running it all on a new DELL Ultrasharp 24" or larger screen.

Of course I don't have money to burn and prefer to buy upgrades as needed and middle of the road at that. So with that in mind I would be getting 7900GT or GTX with 512 onboard if I could find one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds