Big Hardware Reserved Memory & Small Free Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by somosagas, Apr 6, 2017.

1. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Hi,
    In my Intel Pentium 4 516, 2933 MHz, Asus PTGD1-LA (goldfish3) motherboard machine installed with windows 7 64 bit machine, when I right click my computer and see system properties, I see that "Installed Memory(RAM): 4 GB(2.62 GB usable)".I have 4 x 1 GB DDR2 RAM modules (Corsair Value Select VS1GB533D2).
    I have verified, * All of RAM modules are working * All of RAM slots in mother board are working
    Into the BIOS, are all 4Gb reported as being there.
    These ram sticks were working perfect before, and in one moment something happened that windows start to show the amount of installed memory is different than usable and of course my computer gets a slow and even sometimes amount of free memory is equal 0, which make impossible to do anything on the computer.
    I will really appreciate if someone helps me because I tried to find how to solve this problem, but I didn't succeeded.
    Thanks in advance !!!

Attached Files:

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend :cool:

How you know about your memory is alright ? Have you check memory for memtest86 for instance ( each stick for 6 hours or so ) ? What is your bios version ? Do you try to re seat ram from your motherboard ? You could take a photos of your ram's modules posting us here ;)

3. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Yes, I did already. Everything was OK with my ram

4. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Hi,

I forgot about picture.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
  5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The installed memory is 4gb, BUT your graphics card/chip uses ram, applications use ram, so, Usable ram is the amount of free ram you have at that time.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To remove the 1410 MB that is reserved, do the following:
    1. In the search/run box type msconfig and enter
    2. Click on the Boot tab then Advanced options
    3. In the right hand side, uncheck the box for maximum memory. On the left uncheck the box for number of processors.
    4. Click ok
    5. Reboot.

7. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

I already check and uncheck and nothing changed.
    Even when manually I put # of ram memory after restart was 0.

8. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

My Bios

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      54.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

10. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

After reading I tried to setup my virtual memory this way how was discribed in the article but it didn't help. Still I have Installed memory 4096 MB 2679 MB of Total.
    When I setup my "Total paging file size for all drives" I've got 5370 MB but when I restarted computer it was back to 2679 MB. What I supposed to do to make this stay on 5370 MB?

11. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Page File.jpg

You're probably using System Managed size. Select Custom Size and set your minimum and maximum values. You'll have to restart the computer immediately afterward.

12. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

How much supposed be minimum and maximum value ?

13. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

I tried min. 4000 MB and max. 5370 MB. I'm not sure if this is right. Another thing after setting this and closing it didn't ask to restart. it looks like it didn't take these changes. I restarted and and this is what I have:

Attached Files:

14. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

I added Resource Monitor

Attached Files:

15. Eldon

16. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

I read this article some time ago, but my problem is a bit different. I think.
    My computer was working with these memory's sticks before, and in a one moment something changed.
    And I didn't have my "Installed Memory" (4 GB) together with "Usable Memory" (2. 67GB). I had only 4 GB of "Installed Memory" that's it. At that time, my "Hardware Reserved" was always around 2 MB instead of 1486 MB at present, and my "Free" memory was about 2700 instead of 4 MB or 7 MB at now. Something has changed, and this is what I try to find out with your help, guys.
    The second answer is "yes." I'm very desperate looking toward a solution, and I tried another place.
    Is there any problem with this?

17. Eldon

Have you changed any hardware?

18. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

19. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Hi,

I don't know if it is important but I noticed in the Device Manager that my Video Controller there is with yellow exclamation mark it means - something is wrong. I'm not sure but if there is any chance that my problems with Ram are connected to it?

20. Eldon

Do you mean the Display adapter?
    I had the same with the Display adapter in Windows XP even though the video was fine.
    I installed the driver from the motherboard support DVD and then it showed there are 2 Display adapters!

21. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

!

Attached Files:

22. Eldon

Ok.
    Double-click Video Controller and look what it says under Device status.

23. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

24. Eldon

Click Update Driver...
    Or, if you have the motherboard disc, you should install the driver from there.

25. falconattack

Push Details tab scroll the Property menu down finding Hardware ids , there is a code in there , with Select All - Copy - Paste you could give that to us . Is your system hp ? Your motherboard is too old , your system equipments eat ram ( graphics card etc ) i think :cool:

26. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_2A08103C&REV_04
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_2A08103C
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&CC_038000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&CC_0380

27. falconattack

There is a problem , your motherboard is old , it's hard to find win7 drivers :cool:

28. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Not Chance to fix it?

29. Eldon

Have you tried the suggestion in post #24?

30. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Yes, and it was not updating.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Asus si te shows nothing for the Asus PTGD1-LA (goldfish3) motherboard
    BUT, HP do.........Type in just PTGD1-LA (goldfish3) and it lists drivers for Windows 10 (it picked up my syste, and offered some !!
    Now it could be worth trying the drivers for your system there.
    It is a bit of a guess which model to choose, but if looking from your computer it should offer something compatible. Different manufacturers often used similar, if not identical motherboards- be careful about Bios, though... That can be very iffy.
    Otherwise try advanced system care driver tool-
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html

Attached Files:

32. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

33. somosagas

somosagas Private E-2

Thanks for your advises Baklogic. I'm gonna try to do what you said.:)

baklogic likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds