Big Install: New HD, Video Card, Memory, & Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KimCaroline, Dec 9, 2009.

1. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

Good evening,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (desktop from '07).

Today I bought a bigger HD, more memory, better processor and video card per my computer specs.

Could someone please recommend how I should begin the Big Install? I was thinking I would add the processor first, then the memory and video card before installing the HD last.

Please advise.

Thank you, :)

Kim

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Hi, Kim...

Certainly an ambitious project! I see nothing wrong with your installation order: it's probably the way I'd do it, too...

Couple of quick questions: have you built a machine before? And, are you migrating your OS to the new drive, or is it going to be a storage device?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Another question: do you have new thermal paste to apply to the processor? The old stuff will not do as once you break the seal its performance is degraded.

4. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have the paste (but was wondering what to do w/ it!!!) I thought I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

No, I haven't done anything like this before. Is it really that tough???

Thanks again,
    Kim

5. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

I forgot to ask; will I have to purchase a new (WIN 7) op sys once I install the new HD if I don't use the other? I could use the old HD as storage. Great idea.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

You'll have to apply the paste on the processor prior to installation: the paste aids the heatsink with conducting...if you do a Google, you'll find plenty of quick tutorials...

I've built many machines through the years, and the best advice I could give you is be careful, be patient, and be humble - don't be afraid to ask questions!

As far as your OS: if you've got a retail or upgrade version, you shouldn't have any trouble installing to the new drive, although you'll probably have to re-verify with Microsoft...however, if you've got an OEM disk that came with the Dell, you might run into some problems - maybe a support check with Dell could answer any questions about the hardware upgrade...

Good luck!

7. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

I was just told by a poster in the DELL forum that I cannot upgrade my CPU in the Dimension 9200 (XPS 420) from an Intel Core 2 6300 to a Core 2 Q6700.

Does anyone know if this is true, or how I can check which processors are compatible w/ my BIOS DXP061? I need a current list... the one in DELL was several years old.

Many thanks,
    Kim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds